Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT would you do? Seriously, I don't know how to handle

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I'm a photographer and have an in home studio. Yesterday I was doing a Boudoir Shoot, and the client brought her horribly behaved 2 year old. She was destroying my house! She smooshed her snack all over my floor, almost broke my studio lights, and spilled her mothers make up powder all over my furniture.

ALL of that stuff isnt that big of a deal, however there is one thing that IS. She completely broke and smashed my laptop! My business laptop. She was beating on it yesterday and slammed it shut really hard, and when i seen her, i moved it. I didnt open the laptop to discover the damage of yesterday until this morning. All of my clients pictures, my editing software , my entire business is dependent on it. I have 13 unedited shoots that need to be done and I can't. I'm seriously LIVID.

I emailed her mother and told her about it an d all she said was "sorry".

That's it. That's fucking it! A One word email to a problem that will cost me $500 , canceled photoshoots today, plus delay for everyone elses shoot that needs editing!!

As the PARENT of the child: what would you do? Would you offer to help me pay for it?

As the business owner: would you SUGGEST it?

What would you do if you were on both sides?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Sue.

You have to honor your contracts. If the images are destroyed you are going to have to refund your clients.

You also have lost wages for the cancelled shoots.

You need to be reimbursed for everything.

CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

The mother should have found a babysitter. She should also be embarresd and offer to pay for it. If I were the mother thats how I would feel. If I were you, I would add the cost onto her bill.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

ooooo..that sucks and that mother should be ashamed of herself for letting her child run amuck in someone else's home like that. Im hoping you have some type of business insurance to cover these types of things. If not, you could take her to small claims court. From now on, I would have strict rules for children.

TAG_ur_it
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

she should have to pay for it.  period. 

Saille717
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Well, I'd get the laptop fixed, I'd pay for it, then I'd send the mother a copy of the bill.  I'd hope that she'd do right by it, but there's not much you can do to force the issue.  It's not a large enough amount to sue or go to small claims court for, so unless she's willing to be a good person then you're pretty well screwed.  Your insurance should cover it.  

As a mother I would NEVER have allowed my child to behave in that way at all.  If I found it necessary to even bring my child to such a thing, I'd have made him sit in a chair or I'd have brought a pack and play to corral him in.  That's just awful to have allowed her child to behave that way, to damage and destroy property, make messes, and all that.  She should be ashamed of herself.  

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I would send her the bill and take her to small claims court if she doesn't pay.

It's odd she brought her child to a boudoir shoot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Logan_Bellasmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

This and to be honest for boudoir shots there should already be a no children rule.

Quoting jedwards2009:

If it was personal, I would ask for payment. But since its business, I would just let insurance handle it. And make a no children rule. Sorry that happened :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM

As a photographer, that client would be paying for my computer!!!! That's so fucked up!!!

She should have known better than to bring a 2 year old... she could have rescheduled if she couldn't find a sitter, she could have left when the kids started acting up. SO many ways to prevent this. Her child's behaviour is HER responsibility.

Not only has she broken your computer, she has affected the work of several other PAYING clients. They will now have a delay on the work they payed for, and they don't deserve that because some schmuck couldn't control their kid.

You need to insist she pay for the damages... and if she refuses, take her to small claims court.

Quoting Anonymous:

So I'm a photographer and have an in home studio. Yesterday I was doing a Boudoir Shoot, and the client brought her horribly behaved 2 year old. She was destroying my house! She smooshed her snack all over my floor, almost broke my studio lights, and spilled her mothers make up powder all over my furniture.

ALL of that stuff isnt that big of a deal, however there is one thing that IS. She completely broke and smashed my laptop! My business laptop. She was beating on it yesterday and slammed it shut really hard, and when i seen her, i moved it. I didnt open the laptop to discover the damage of yesterday until this morning. All of my clients pictures, my editing software , my entire business is dependent on it. I have 13 unedited shoots that need to be done and I can't. I'm seriously LIVID.

I emailed her mother and told her about it an d all she said was "sorry".

That's it. That's fucking it! A One word email to a problem that will cost me $500 , canceled photoshoots today, plus delay for everyone elses shoot that needs editing!!

As the PARENT of the child: what would you do? Would you offer to help me pay for it?

As the business owner: would you SUGGEST it?

What would you do if you were on both sides?

illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I would let her know you will require reimbursement for the laptop promptly and if she'd like to pay in cash or with a check.

MammaPaparazza
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM
That sucks :(
Do you have insurance?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured