Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT would you do? Seriously, I don't know how to handle

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I'm a photographer and have an in home studio. Yesterday I was doing a Boudoir Shoot, and the client brought her horribly behaved 2 year old. She was destroying my house! She smooshed her snack all over my floor, almost broke my studio lights, and spilled her mothers make up powder all over my furniture.

ALL of that stuff isnt that big of a deal, however there is one thing that IS. She completely broke and smashed my laptop! My business laptop. She was beating on it yesterday and slammed it shut really hard, and when i seen her, i moved it. I didnt open the laptop to discover the damage of yesterday until this morning. All of my clients pictures, my editing software , my entire business is dependent on it. I have 13 unedited shoots that need to be done and I can't. I'm seriously LIVID.

I emailed her mother and told her about it an d all she said was "sorry".

That's it. That's fucking it! A One word email to a problem that will cost me $500 , canceled photoshoots today, plus delay for everyone elses shoot that needs editing!!

As the PARENT of the child: what would you do? Would you offer to help me pay for it?

As the business owner: would you SUGGEST it?

What would you do if you were on both sides?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (111-114):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Your insurance should cover it.

MunchiesMom324
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

OK - IDK if you have a RGB or HDMI port on your computer, let's start with RGB.

RGB cable is the same cable you would use on a computer monitor. 

The fat side goes into the side of your laptop (if you have the port for that, it will have two rows of holes, one shorter than the other) and the singles go into the corresponding holes on the back or side of your TV.  You will have to change the input option for your TV (similar to how you would switch between your gaming console and your satellite or cable) to get the feed but it should work.

If you have an HDMI port (looks like a larger version of a USB port

it doesn't matter which end goes where.  One into your computer, the other to your TV.  Again, you'll have to change your input on your TV to pick up the feed.

HTH!

Quoting Anonymous:

I COULD FREAKIN KISS YOU!!! Omg seriously I could. I totally forgot that it is possible
To hook your laptop up to another monitor or screen! I remember them saying something like that when I bought my tv. They said something about being able I hook the tv up to the laptop and using he tv as a monitor!! What exactly do I need? Or can you lead me to what I could google?

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Don't do all of that just yet.  Do you have an HDMI or RBG cable handy, and a tv with receptors for those cables?  You can attach your laptop via RBG or HDMI cable to the TV and basically use it as a "spare monitor" for your laptop so maybe you won't lose out on your clients waiting on product.  Honestly, if your insurance won't cover it, I would be searching EBAY for a replacement screen and replacing it myself.  Most replacement screens are about $100. 

If you choose to just buy new, yes - the store should be able to transfer your files over.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks guys. I'm sitting here just absolutely confused and upset. From now on, I absolutely will have a no children policy. I do not have insurance against damages like this. I only have insurance on "natural disasters" or theft. I will have to pay out of pocket myself. If it can't be repaired I will have to pay for a new laptop plus an external hard drive I transfer all my business information and files to the new laptop. (or can they do that in he store)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to demand compensation like you guys are suggesting.

I'm also wondering what I tell my other clients? Do I tell them the situation or is that unprofessional to tell them a child broke my laptop? I NEED to tell my other clients something though?

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I would DEMAND that bitch replace your computer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HezekiahsMom07
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM
She would be paying for the repair.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured