Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WHAT would you do? Seriously, I don't know how to handle

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I'm a photographer and have an in home studio. Yesterday I was doing a Boudoir Shoot, and the client brought her horribly behaved 2 year old. She was destroying my house! She smooshed her snack all over my floor, almost broke my studio lights, and spilled her mothers make up powder all over my furniture.

ALL of that stuff isnt that big of a deal, however there is one thing that IS. She completely broke and smashed my laptop! My business laptop. She was beating on it yesterday and slammed it shut really hard, and when i seen her, i moved it. I didnt open the laptop to discover the damage of yesterday until this morning. All of my clients pictures, my editing software , my entire business is dependent on it. I have 13 unedited shoots that need to be done and I can't. I'm seriously LIVID.

I emailed her mother and told her about it an d all she said was "sorry".

That's it. That's fucking it! A One word email to a problem that will cost me $500 , canceled photoshoots today, plus delay for everyone elses shoot that needs editing!!

As the PARENT of the child: what would you do? Would you offer to help me pay for it?

As the business owner: would you SUGGEST it?

What would you do if you were on both sides?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
clemmy
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Exactly!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Sue.

You have to honor your contracts. If the images are destroyed you are going to have to refund your clients.

You also have lost wages for the cancelled shoots.

You need to be reimbursed for everything.

mom2ljh
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Send her a bill for the damages. Contact your attorney if need be. She is responsible for your losses. She is also responsible for the lost income to your business.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Personally, I wouldn't have let a child get that destructive in my house in the first place and would not allow a child to come along on a photo shoot of that subject, but thats already been done. I would contact the mother and demand to be compensated for the laptop and any money that you will lose from lost work. 

Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I would have her pay for the damage to the computer. Can you get the info off the computer that you need, for the new lap top?
Momsthename0609
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
If I was the parent I would offer to pay for it. I would have to make payments but I would still pay for it. I can't believe that mother isn't going to do anything at all.
Destiny907
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

From now on, I would make a rule- NO CHILDREN allowed on shoots!!! Seriously, you do have the right to this... clients just have to understand- NO KIDS allowed.

AND if you do not have and enforce this rule- you CAN just stop at any point in a shoot if a kid is acting like this- and say.. I'm sorry, I can't do this.... Here is your money back, I can't go on with your child here.  

priincessz
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
The mom needs to pay. That's your income right there! She should at least pay for the damage. I know if my child did that I know it would be my responsibility to pay for it.
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

As a customer, I wouldn't bring a child to a photo shoot for myself to begin with. As a business owner, I would send her the bill. I would also have something that each person has to sign to say that children are only allowed if there is another adult who comes to specifically watch the child or something like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I would have stopped the photo shoot and told the mom that she would have to reschedule for a time when her brat (okay I wouldn't have put it that way) wasn't with her at the first sign that the child wasn't going to behave. Since you didn't do that I would let insurance handle it the money issue and not have that woman as a client anymore. If you don't have insurance then you need to demand that she pay for the damages her child did. 

baquick
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
As a mother (had I brought my child, which I wouldn't of) I would be scrambling to get money together to buy a new laptop.

As a business owner, I would be asking for the money for a new laptop. That's unacceptable. And filing with insurance.

And making a new policy of no children unless they are in the photo shoot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN