Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WHAT would you do? Seriously, I don't know how to handle

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I'm a photographer and have an in home studio. Yesterday I was doing a Boudoir Shoot, and the client brought her horribly behaved 2 year old. She was destroying my house! She smooshed her snack all over my floor, almost broke my studio lights, and spilled her mothers make up powder all over my furniture.

ALL of that stuff isnt that big of a deal, however there is one thing that IS. She completely broke and smashed my laptop! My business laptop. She was beating on it yesterday and slammed it shut really hard, and when i seen her, i moved it. I didnt open the laptop to discover the damage of yesterday until this morning. All of my clients pictures, my editing software , my entire business is dependent on it. I have 13 unedited shoots that need to be done and I can't. I'm seriously LIVID.

I emailed her mother and told her about it an d all she said was "sorry".

That's it. That's fucking it! A One word email to a problem that will cost me $500 , canceled photoshoots today, plus delay for everyone elses shoot that needs editing!!

As the PARENT of the child: what would you do? Would you offer to help me pay for it?

As the business owner: would you SUGGEST it?

What would you do if you were on both sides?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting Saille717:

Well, I'd get the laptop fixed, I'd pay for it, then I'd send the mother a copy of the bill.  I'd hope that she'd do right by it, but there's not much you can do to force the issue.  It's not a large enough amount to sue or go to small claims court for, so unless she's willing to be a good person then you're pretty well screwed.  Your insurance should cover it.  

Yes it is. If the unit cannot be repaired it has to be replaced. OP must be made whole. OP stated $500. That is a small claims case.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have insurance, file a claim. And send her a bill for the damages. I'd also talk to my attorney about suing for damages.

LilrockerMama
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I would offer to pay it if it was my child. That's insane.. I'm sorry
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Also hook up an external monitor and get an external hdd to move your info over so you can continue work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
For the parent side I would definitely feel horrible and I would try to offer something to help pay for it even if it was just small amounts.

As the business owner I would be demanding compensation of some sort. It is going to cost a lot to get it fixed plus habit a huge delay to my customers. I would be documenting everything and the cost to fix the computer or purchase a new one as well as documenting the money I lost from having to cancel photo shoots and also havin to delay getting photos to my other customers. If me and the mother couldn't come to a reasonable agreement I would take her to court for the cost to my business. I am usually not a bitch like that but don't screw wih my business.
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

as the parent, i would have never brought a child to an intimate photoshoot to start, but if my kid incurred that amount of damage, i'd be writing a check for clean up/repairs and inconvenience.

as business owner, i would withhold her photos until her bill is payed in full, including laptop repair costs.

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I wouldn't have brought my child to something like this. As the owner I would get it fixed and sue her for your losses. Not much else you can do.
Saille717
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I dont mean that she CAN'T, that it wouldn't be allowed, I mean that it's not enough money for it to be worth it.  The time that the OP would lose dealing with a court case, the work time that she would lose doing it all, the negative word of mouth publicity that it would cause her, and all that for maybe $500 if she wins?  Not worth it.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Saille717:

Well, I'd get the laptop fixed, I'd pay for it, then I'd send the mother a copy of the bill.  I'd hope that she'd do right by it, but there's not much you can do to force the issue.  It's not a large enough amount to sue or go to small claims court for, so unless she's willing to be a good person then you're pretty well screwed.  Your insurance should cover it.  

Yes it is. If the unit cannot be repaired it has to be replaced. OP must be made whole. OP stated $500. That is a small claims case.

Bird16_J
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Sue that stupid bitch!!! I would tell her she has 48 hours to fix it other wise I'll start court proceedings! Stupid cunt and her little piece of shit bratty kid!! I would've beat that kids ass or told her to get the fuck out and refunded her money! Sorry but that's one thing I pride myself in is having my children being RESPECTFUL of other peoples stuff and their own!!!

bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM

If it were my child, you would be getting a new laptop and my two year old would not be sitting for a day.  If it were me and that were the response, she would not get any of the shots taken and she would be getting a summons to small claims court. I would figure out your amount lost by cancelling your work, add it to the cost of the laptop and the work lost on the laptop...... 

Ok, I so I wouldn't beat my child but she would have no toys or fun for a hell of a long time.  She is old enough to understand no.  The mother needs her ass beat. Who the hell takes their two year old with them to a boudoir shoot... get a damn sitter... can't afford it, can't afford the pictures. 

I would have a no children aloud rule in place....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)