Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT would you do? Seriously, I don't know how to handle

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I'm a photographer and have an in home studio. Yesterday I was doing a Boudoir Shoot, and the client brought her horribly behaved 2 year old. She was destroying my house! She smooshed her snack all over my floor, almost broke my studio lights, and spilled her mothers make up powder all over my furniture.

ALL of that stuff isnt that big of a deal, however there is one thing that IS. She completely broke and smashed my laptop! My business laptop. She was beating on it yesterday and slammed it shut really hard, and when i seen her, i moved it. I didnt open the laptop to discover the damage of yesterday until this morning. All of my clients pictures, my editing software , my entire business is dependent on it. I have 13 unedited shoots that need to be done and I can't. I'm seriously LIVID.

I emailed her mother and told her about it an d all she said was "sorry".

That's it. That's fucking it! A One word email to a problem that will cost me $500 , canceled photoshoots today, plus delay for everyone elses shoot that needs editing!!

As the PARENT of the child: what would you do? Would you offer to help me pay for it?

As the business owner: would you SUGGEST it?

What would you do if you were on both sides?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
MammaPaparazza
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM
If she refuses to pay, keep the deposit for the session, and contact an attorney. I guess that's the best you can do unless you file it under your business insurance, or homeowners
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I would have offered to pay the repair costs, at least. You need to ask her for payment.

SillySally83
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I would buy you a new one and offer to compensate you for the loss of revenue due to not being able to work until its replaced. If I didn't offer you would have the right to sue me for just that lol.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I would send a letter outlining the damages and request compensation. I would also put something in the contract or in writing openly displayed in your studio informing parents they are financially responsible for damages incurred by their child.

kayla4507
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Id make her fix it or get a new one. And who brings a child to a Boudoir shoot anyways? If she refuses, take her to small claims court. 

cjsbmom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM

If my child broke someone's equipment, I'd be paying to replace it. Actually, my child wouldn't behave in that manner in someone else's home or business. Sounds like that kid is totally out of control and mom didn't do much to stop the behavior.

I would tell her that she owes you for the laptop. Did she pay you for the photo shoot yet? If she did, I'd tell her you will withhold her photos until she pays for the damaged laptop.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Did she pay you already? Id send her an invoice for the repair/new laptop and withhold her edited pictures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Yep. A sort of "you break it, you buy it" notice. Many businesses have them. I'd even write it into future contracts with clients.

Quoting inmybizz:

I would send a letter outlining the damages and request compensation. I would also put something in the contract or in writing openly displayed in your studio informing parents they are financially responsible for damages incurred by their child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Thanks guys. I'm sitting here just absolutely confused and upset. From now on, I absolutely will have a no children policy. I do not have insurance against damages like this. I only have insurance on "natural disasters" or theft. I will have to pay out of pocket myself. If it can't be repaired I will have to pay for a new laptop plus an external hard drive I transfer all my business information and files to the new laptop. (or can they do that in he store)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to demand compensation like you guys are suggesting.

I'm also wondering what I tell my other clients? Do I tell them the situation or is that unprofessional to tell them a child broke my laptop? I NEED to tell my other clients something though?
thecoffeefairy
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I would expect her to pay for it. Bill her, take her to court if need be and have a no kids rule unless your doing family photos
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured