Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you have one kid with autism

AliKatAK47
I'm bored
Today at 10:40 AM
Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 10 Replies
Will you have another? It seems to me that it is not rare that if one kid has it than their siblings have it (or something similar) as well.

This is not a bash post but I am sure many will take it that way. So I await being called an ignorant bitch or an asshole.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
I'm bored
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Bump!
SillySally83
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I don't think so. I know a few families that kids with autism and usually only one of their children is autistic. My dad's wife has an autistic child but her other 3 are all average kids.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I just have the one typical child. But I grew up with a cousin who was low functioning autistic and her siblings are typical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM
My first is normal. My second may be autistic. Was talkung to my neighbor about possibly having another and she completely shot me down. Really hurt my feelings. Its a possibility that another child may be autistic, but its like rolling the dice with any pregnancy. Anything could happen (downs, cp, etc.) If we all lived in fear we would never have children. Having one of each just proves its a gamble. And being diagnosed with autism isnt a death sentance. Many of these children grow up to be perfectly fine and functional in society
KG34
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My brother has 2 boys and a girl. Both boys have autism. The girl doesn't. 

Mom2MikeynLando
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My oldest has autism, but my youngest doesn't.  Both of them are boys.  We will be trying for a third soon, and will love any child.  After 3 we are done.

betsyabel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My first 3 showed no signs of autism, my 4th is autistic.

AliKatAK47
I'm bored
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Thank you. Maybe it is a little more rare than I was thinking. I see some that have one who is autistic and the other with add or something similar. I see it is just a gamble and sometimes you never can tell what you are going to get. Some just get dealt worse hands than others.

Quoting sweetboys4me:

My first is normal. My second may be autistic. Was talkung to my neighbor about possibly having another and she completely shot me down. Really hurt my feelings. Its a possibility that another child may be autistic, but its like rolling the dice with any pregnancy. Anything could happen (downs, cp, etc.) If we all lived in fear we would never have children. Having one of each just proves its a gamble. And being diagnosed with autism isnt a death sentance. Many of these children grow up to be perfectly fine and functional in society
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I did.
Bauxite-17
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My cousin's first child has Autism, and she had another, that doesn't have it, but I don't think they knew their first had it before she got pregnant. I think it was something they discovered when she was pregnant so I'm not sure what she would have done had she known before hand.

My son doesn't have autism, but even then I think I'm only having one...if he had autism, I definitely would only be having one. Just so I could give him my undivided attention.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)