Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How is it that people like this get refunds at all?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you agree that when doing the taxes, they should ask about what welfare people get and that should be deducted from the return?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 88

View Results

This happens every year. My cousin and her DH spend over a month bragging about the tax return they will be getting (it's always over $10,000, they just had their 3th kid and this year they say its over $12,000). He works as a hospital tech full time (3, 12 hour shifts) while she stays at home, has never worked. They get medicaid for all 5 of them, about $700 a month in food stamps plus wic, help with their rent which cuts their rent of a 3 bedroom apt to $400 a month.

Now while I don't think they should live on it like they do (they have no intention of getting off of the PA in fact the other day she talked about how great it will be when the kids start school because they can get them on free lunch and breakfast but still get the same amount of food stamps and the youngest is 3 months old) I am glad that at least their kids aren't going hungry. However, when they get their tax return (which ends up being about 1/3 of their annual income) instead of saving it for car repairs or clothes for the kids or whatever, they go shit crazy, they buy video games, systems and other electronics and go out to dinner every night.

After they spend a couple weeks doing all of this and bragging about it on facebook, they are broke again. Then suprise suprise, the whether starts getting warm and their kids need summer clothes (they are young so  they need new clothes every year) that they can't afford and they start going from family memeber to family member asking us to buy stuff for the kids.

How can people get more back then they pay into the system? I mean he only pays in $3500 a year and they get back over $12000 plus all the welfare they get. Personally, I think that when doing the taxes, they should ask about what welfare you get and that should be deducted from your return.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I thought you were suppose to count the welfare already?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM
He works at a hospital and doesnt make prwtty good money?my sister worked as a cna at a nursing home with 3 kids and 2 deadbeat dads and she didnt qualify for welfare and she grossed around 1600 a month which isnt much.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

They are probably committing welfare fraud if they get so much help and he's working full time. As far as your question, I have no idea how they get so much back! The most we've recieved is $3500 and that was with student loan credits.

Luna091306
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes I do. I think it is ridiculous people are able to collect all types of PA all year long and then get back half if not more of their income at tax time. I think if you collected any sort of PA during the year you should automatically be disqualified for EIC.

mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I don't really care. We try to pay in each year. This year we are getting over 8K back... We had a NICU stay for 50 days, I was in the hospital for 10 days as well as a few other admits for dehydration, both my husband and I finished our Masters so we were able to claim the tuition money and book expenses, etc. We had no PA in any form though we qualified, I'm sure... My husband worked part time at Best Buy through grad school and I stayed at home with our two daughters.

I'm thankful we have money in the bank, I'm thankful we bought a house in cash and managed to finish our kids college funds. We live well under our income level, particularly now that my husband has a real job... People like them enjoy their lives a montn out of the year and struggle the rest of the year. They are going to lack the experiences you and I have with our kids. 

I pitty them, they obviously feel so insecure they need to brag about their dinners on facebook- pathetic. 

Luna091306
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I think it asks but it doesn't mean anything. They don't consider it income, you will still qualify for EIC. There was a lady on here the other day saying her income was only 16K and she recieved all sorts of PA. She was getting 12K back. O.o

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought you were suppose to count the welfare already?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Luna091306
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Personally, I feel that there should be a minimum income to recieve EIC. Kwim? It should be an incentive to work not do the bare minimum.

Quoting mom2theA-team:

I don't really care. We try to pay in each year. This year we are getting over 8K back... We had a NICU stay for 50 days, I was in the hospital for 10 days as well as a few other admits for dehydration, both my husband and I finished our Masters so we were able to claim the tuition money and book expenses, etc. We had no PA in any form though we qualified, I'm sure... My husband worked part time at Best Buy through grad school and I stayed at home with our two daughters.

I'm thankful we have money in the bank, I'm thankful we bought a house in cash and managed to finish our kids college funds. We live well under our income level, particularly now that my husband has a real job... People like them enjoy their lives a montn out of the year and struggle the rest of the year. They are going to lack the experiences you and I have with our kids. 

I pitty them, they obviously feel so insecure they need to brag about their dinners on facebook- pathetic. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I thought they already did ask about pa? I realize nothing's deducted but when we did our taxes a few weeks ago and I recall the past couple of years H&R Block did ask if we had any public assistance during the year and what kind. We didn't receive any but they do ask about it.
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Very true. I work as a cashier and a lot of people come through around tax time (I live in a small town lol you can tell that it's tax money) and blow a lot of money on junk...dh and I get money back but it goes to bills and this year it will bee to fix some things on our house. It's not play money for us.

Quoting mom2theA-team:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
This is gonna sound really stupid but I don't exactly know/understand welfare... And I don't get that ppl that are on welfare do taxes since techincally they aren't paying taxes through out the year? Or...? I don't understand PA!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)