Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Animal Cruelty?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I have a next door neighbor who I think is abusing her dogs. Her dog recently gave birth to 5 puppies. She ended up giving 4 of them away.

Anyway the one she kept(along with the mom), she gives coffee to. She said it stunts their growth? Is that normal? Do other people do it to keep their dogs small? Seems wrong to me(I've never owned a dog). The puppy is tied up in the back yard crying. It came loose a few times and it walks up to me terrified and peeing.

I feel bad for it.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Bump
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM
How old? Coffee won't stunt them its an old wives tale but probably not good for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

That doesnt seem right at all. I would suggest a call to animal control and ask them if they will check up on the animals. 

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

The only way your going to know for sure is to call and ask your local authorities.  Some place have laws about how long a dog can be tied out.....what type of shelter must be provided when tied out ...how much food and water also some places even have equations for how long the tie out must be to allow movement.  I have seen laws saying no longer than an hour but they are rare.

As for the coffee stupid yes cruelty I doubt it.  MANY people try to get dogs smaller and smaller although I have never heard of doing anything AFTER they are born but it doesn't surprise me.

anotherhalf
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

BUMP!

Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

If you know or think they're being abused or neglected, call Animal control! But if it's just the coffee you're worried about, don't. My grandpa gave his Pom a saucer of coffee with cream every morning of her life; he gave her M&M's every day, too, for a treat. She lived to be 17 years old, lol.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Yes it is animal cruelty. Giving the dog coffee won't keep it small. That is a moronic idea. I would be calling Animal Control and the SPCA right now. Your neighbor does not need dogs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LovelyMommy24
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM
That's really sad.
nelliesmommy
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

BUMP!

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

no, it won't stunt their growth. shes stupid. unless she is not feeding or watering it, it is not animal abuse. 

(i don't agree with what she is doing, but i do know animal control wont do a thing unless it is obvious abuse and neglect.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)