Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want both my dad and my step dad to walk me down the aisle, my dad is mad

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am getting married next month. The site for the ceremony has a beautiful balcony with stairs leading down for me to walk down and then I walk down the aisle. The guests seated will be able to see me from the moment the french doors open at the balcony

I am very close to my step dad. He married my mom when I was 5 and when I was 10 my dad moved 2 hours away. From that point on, my step dad was more of a father figure to me. He was the one who bore the brunt of my teenage craziness, he was my shoulder to cry one (as was my mom) when things got bad. My dad was a good dad, he wasn't a bad guy or anything, he just wasn't around much. I know that wasn't his plan but it's the way things worked out.

So I want my dad to walk me from the balcony and down the stairs but at the front of the aisle, I want my step dad to be waiting for me and I want him to walk me down the rest of the way (my dad would go along the side to get to his seat).

My dad is mad about this but I think it really symbolizes my childhood and how I have two dads, he was first but then my step dad came in and filled the hole when he wasn't around much. He suggested both of them walking me down the aisle (but him walking me down the stairs alone) but there's not really room for all 3 of us and quite frankly, I don't want to do it that way. I don't want to hurt his feelings but at the same time, I really want this. I saw this on a wedding show and I knew instantly it was what I wanted, it fits my situation so perfectly. What does everyone think?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dbush0584
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I think that's beautiful and if is what you really want then they should be willing to do it and understand. Congrats
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM
It is your choice but I do think it is wonderful you want to include both.
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Who will you dance with for the Father/Daughter dance?

gemikris82
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

my sil did that.  her stepdad walked her into the ceremony room up to her dad who was waiting for her at the beginning of the aisle.  and her birth father walked her up the rest of the way.  for the father daughter dance she danced with biodad

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I am doing two, with my dad it will be "butterfly kisses" and with my step dad it will be "Cinderella". During my dance with my step dad, my new DH will also be dancing with my DD, who is 3

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Who will you dance with for the Father/Daughter dance?

mom2camy
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
4 moms liked this
It's your day and you should do what you feel is right. I think it's a beautiful idea and I can understand the sentiment behind it. Don't let your bio dad talk you into changing it, he should respect your wishes and be more understanding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muzzyh
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM
It's your wedding. Not your dad's. do it the way you want to.
atyou
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I think it's really sweet.

Congrats!
haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I think that sounds nice. Your dad needs to just get over it. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Its YOUR wedding.....YOU decide who walks you where and when. IF your bio dad can't deal with it then Step dad can to it all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)