Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids who refuse to eat!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
How do you handle your kids when they refuse to eat a meal? New 9 y.o. SD does this and it is new territory for me.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this
My 8 yr old doesn't eat what I make, he doesn't eat. If he gets hungry later, I offer him his food. Still doesn't want it? He must not be hungry, so he doesn't eat. No snacks. No pbjs. Nothing.

I am not a short order cook and my kitchen is not Burger King. He can't have it his way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids go in phases, sometimes they eat like it's goin out of style and other times it seems like they don't eat for days! I'd have her help with the meal, give you ideas and tell you what her faves are. I think the more kids feel included the more likely they are to eat what's in front of them. I think it also helps them to try new things. 

anotherhalf
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I don't force ds to eat.  But if he's hungry later, I'm not making him anything.  He can eat what he refused to eat earlier, or not at all.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Let 'em go without.  A missed meal won't kill them.

I do not allow other things to take their place - if they don't want to eat dinner (or whichever meal it is) they wait til the next meal.  Period.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

its eat it now while its warm or later when its cold. either way bed time is bedtime and if dinner is not eaten by then there is always breakfast.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I'm trying to figure this out myself. My 2 year old refuses to eat most of the time...
BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Sometimes they refuse to eat when they have a growth spurt...they'll eat when they are hungry..I never forced mine...my dad did that to me and I have a HUGH ass now!  LOL

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

M6yr old does this. It's tough. I accommodate as much as I'm willing to but am firm as well.

I involve the kids in my menu planning. I give them choice, and allow them to pick 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts a week. In exchange I expect them to eat everyone elses choices. If they do not eat they are not allowed any other food until their plate is finished. We do not waste food in this house. And I do not force anyone to eat when they don't want to. If they do not eat it at the appropriate time it is put away and taken out for the next meal (our problems are mostly w/dinner so this means ds often eats his dinner for breakfast the next morning). This method has dramatically cut back on the 'I don't want this' nonsense. He still refuses to eat all of his dinner 2-3 nights a week, but he always finishes it the next morning w/o issue.

TiniMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM
How old are your kid(s)? Mine just turned four and most nights takes at least an hour to eat dinner, most nights it's two! I'm almost to the point where I will send her to bed without eating. (Not as punishment just because it takes her so long)

Quoting bustybee:

its eat it now while its warm or later when its cold. either way bed time is bedtime and if dinner is not eaten by then there is always breakfast.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM
She'll eat eventually. Offer her the meal and leave it at that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)