Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do your parents or in-laws try to buy your kids love?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

My MIL is terrible about trying to buy my kids' affection by buying them a ton of things they don't need and sometimes things they really don't want. Valentines Day is coming up (she gets them something for every little holiday) and she called me to see if they would like pinwheels and I said "I'm sure they would, but they'd probably get torn up easy."

Then she says "I just want them to love me." I told her they do and they'd love her just as much if she didn't give them presents. She responded with "The way to a child's heart is through presents."

I just shrug it off. I know that my kids prefer my own mother to my MIL but that's simply because my mother will get down and play with them and interacts with them whereas my MIL just gives them presents and then expects them to sit quietly and she doesn't really talk to them.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
anotherhalf
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I had grandparents like that and I much prefered the ones that gave me no presents because they did like your mom does.  The one who gave me presents - I liked the presents - but her, not so much.  Your MIL will probably never learn.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM
My mother. Drives me nuts but she lives out of the country so it's very limited thankfully
luvmymunchkins3
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

my mom tried but it didnt work amd we just dont talk to her anymore (not for that reason but its part)

brittany208
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM

have you read the love languages book? hers is clearly gifts, lol.

Bauxite-17
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

My mom is not in my life anymore. I cut her out, and so has 2 of my brothers and she BARELY got to meet my youngest brother's son...she hasn't met any of her other grandkids.

She sends me gifts for my son, and I just won't have it. Every package I get now, I have to open it when my sons not around just to make sure its not from my mom. I get stuff from amazon, and it never says who its from. She sent a christmas gift, and I opened it without thinking, and it was a toy for my son, and he was all excited because he saw what it was...so I couldn't say no...didn't want to break his heart just because his grandma is crazy and I don't want her around ya know...so I let him have it, and I hate it because I have to look at it everyday. But I usually just send them back. I email her telling her to stop, but she doesn't listen, and always puts a card in it saying..Love Grandma...shes not my kids grandma.

My in laws however, buy my son stuff, like clothes. He really has enough clothes, but he grows like a weed, so, they give him stuff he actually needs, which I appreciate a lot. My fil goes out walking in fields, and he'll find toys that people throw away, and he'll clean them up and give them to me son, and my son LOVES them. Like they become his instant favorite toy because him and my FIL and best friends, lol.

milf0811
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM
My parents no, my in laws yes. They buy my kids stuff with out asking dh or I about what they want or need, they just show up with stuff.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Quoting brittany208:

have you read the love languages book? hers is clearly gifts, lol.

I was justt hinking that! Mine is gifts too. I love  buying shit for people. <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)