Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

America is NOT the greatest country in the world...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/16K6m3Ua2nw
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

This thread had absolutely nothing to do with saying if you are happy here.  If you watched the video they list our rank against the other countries of the world and we come out wanting.  What does happiness here have to do with that?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

You don't have to think it's perfect and I think it is silly to stay in a place that makes you unhappy.  Many, many people are happy here and for the most part are content with the way things are.  No place is going to be perfect, because there is no such place as Utopia and there never will be, but there is a perfect place for every person and for me that is America.

Quoting Val99:

It is arrogant to say we are the greatest when we are only #1 in 3 things.  Stop thinking that if you live here you have to think it's perfect.  If we all close our eyes and believe it's perfect no one will strive to improve.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I think that you should be happy where you live and if America does not fulfill your needs you should find a place on Earth that does.  I have family all over the World, some prefer their country, some prefer ours.  It's all about what you're looking for.  So for me America is the greatest country in the World for others that may not be true.

mommyoftwo103
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Well, to me? it is. I love the USA. I love it more than I love my own country, where I was born and raised. 

Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I'm not sure you can use that excuse for why we aren't the greatest.  We WERE the greatest in the 1950's, yet we had segregation, racism, discrimination against women, McCarthyism, the cold war, and really a fraction of the civil liberties we have today.  Why were we great then even though the government was monitoring everybody and blacklisting them for being "commies"?

Quoting Anonymous:

I watched the video. I happen to agree with what he's saying. But am I the only one who realizes we've gotten to be "not the greatest country" by fault of our own? The government comes in and dictates to us what we can and can't do and takes away our liberties daily... Our response? Ok. No one fights back. For one reason or another we allow the powers that be to broaden their control over us.
We are the ones who are suppose to run the government, not the other way around. We've become so complacent and defeated that no one tries to do anything until its too late.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM

*facepalm*

seriously?

I think MY Country is the best in the world.  It's an opinion, I have pride in my Country and do not believe America is better than it, which make America to me) NOT the best Country in the world.  I know many many people who would NEVER live in the states, myself included.  

You can think it's the best, that's ok, you can have your opinion.  But I wouldn't want to live somewhere with the politics you have or the political system you have.  I wouldnt want to live somewhere without healthcare, without strict gun laws.  I cherish my culture and Countries ideals.

I therefore don't think America is the greatest Country at all.  It is a subjective phrase.  Iy may be rated by some system as the #1 so and so but those things may not equal greatest to many.  

IT IS SUBJECTIVE.

Subjective information is one person's opinion. In a newspaper, the editorial section is the place for subjectivity. It can be based on fact, but it is one person's interpretation of that fact. In this way, subjective information is also analytical.

Student research papers are usually subjective, in that the writer formulates a thesis statement and uses sources that support that thesis. Bear in mind that there is usually another equally valid viewpoint that can be supported with other sources.

Objective information reviews many points of view. It is intended to be unbiased. News reporters are supposed to be objective and report the facts of an event. Encyclopedias and other reference materials provide objective information.

STATISTICAL DATA is objective.  However, saying a Country is the greatest is subjective.  The statistics are simply what swayed an opinion into making the subjective statement.

Quoting Val99:

Who would judge based on -- nothing?  We are talking about hard statistics that compare the US to other countries when it comes to health, crime, education, etc.  We are defining the term "best" as #1 in the world.  

So what criteria do you use to define a judgement that the US is #1 compared to the other 248 countries in the world? 

Quoting 428:

It is subjective.  I would say my Country is the best country in the world, and so would many others.  It depends on one's persective.  That makes it subjective. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not subjective when you look at the statistics.  Math is objective, not subjective.

Quoting 428:

I would agree, I didnt watch the video.  But it's a subjective statement.

Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I watched the video. I happen to agree with what he's saying. But am I the only one who realizes we've gotten to be "not the greatest country" by fault of our own? The government comes in and dictates to us what we can and can't do and takes away our liberties daily... Our response? Ok. No one fights back. For one reason or another we allow the powers that be to broaden their control over us.
We are the ones who are suppose to run the government, not the other way around. We've become so complacent and defeated that no one tries to do anything until its too late.

On the contrary, most other countries tell their citizens what to do a lot more than ours.

I couldn't get sound to work on the video.  But, I will say that some things are different because, well, the CULTURE is different.  A place like Japan, say.  The kids go to school much more (longer days), and to the parents, that's important.  The kids don't misbehave - and if they do, the parents don't dispute the punishment given by the schools.  Many other countries are the same way.

Health care?  Depends on what you look at.  Access to medical care?  Probably more than for many of our citizens.  But they do pay for it, in the form of vastly higher taxes.  And in many cases, the access to health care doesn't mean they're active or living longer.  Just means that they see a doctor.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

What the video is basically saying is that we have become so complacent as citizens of this country. We just sit back and accept where we are. We don't stand behind  the ideologies the country was founded on. Most of our younger citizens have no idea how government works and what we stand for. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

They were using the term "Greatest" in the video to extrapolate STATISTICAL DATA.

Quoting 428:

*facepalm*

seriously?

I think MY Country is the best in the world.  It's an opinion, I have pride in my Country and do not believe America is better than it, which make America to me) NOT the best Country in the world.  I know many many people who would NEVER live in the states, myself included.  

You can think it's the best, that's ok, you can have your opinion.  But I wouldn't want to live somewhere with the politics you have or the political system you have.  I wouldnt want to live somewhere without healthcare, without strict gun laws.  I cherish my culture and Countries ideals.

I therefore don't think America is the greatest Country at all.  It is a subjective phrase.  Iy may be rated by some system as the #1 so and so but those things may not equal greatest to many.  

IT IS SUBJECTIVE.

Subjective information is one person's opinion. In a newspaper, the editorial section is the place for subjectivity. It can be based on fact, but it is one person's interpretation of that fact. In this way, subjective information is also analytical.

Student research papers are usually subjective, in that the writer formulates a thesis statement and uses sources that support that thesis. Bear in mind that there is usually another equally valid viewpoint that can be supported with other sources.

Objective information reviews many points of view. It is intended to be unbiased. News reporters are supposed to be objective and report the facts of an event. Encyclopedias and other reference materials provide objective information.

STATISTICAL DATA is objective.  However, saying a Country is the greatest is subjective.  The statistics are simply what swayed an opinion into making the subjective statement.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I said in my first reply, i didnt watch the video, just answered the question, and no, I dont think it is the greatest country.  the statement is subjective.  I stand by that.  

Quoting Anonymous:

They were using the term "Greatest" in the video to extrapolate STATISTICAL DATA.

Quoting 428:

*facepalm*

seriously?

IT IS SUBJECTIVE.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

/facepalm

Helps to watch what is being discussed.

Quoting 428:

I said in my first reply, i didnt watch the video, just answered the question, and no, I dont think it is the greatest country.  the statement is subjective.  I stand by that.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 428:

*facepalm*

seriously?

IT IS SUBJECTIVE.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM
If that's what I think it is its the most accurate and shocking few minutes of tv ever
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured