Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

she abandoned her kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
A week ago. Their dad wants full custody.how long does he need to wait until he can get it? He's filed for temp custody but eventually that'll be over..can someone explain how the process works?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OkieMommyOf6
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM

it varies in every state. i know in the state of oklahoma unless the parent signs over their rights or can be proven unfit, the only way the other parent can file for abandonment is if they are gone for 2 years without any contact through mail, phone, or physical.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Ironic, it is Oklahoma, so she can stay away for months and come back and act like it never happened?

Quoting OkieMommyOf6:

it varies in every state. i know in the state of oklahoma unless the parent signs over their rights or can be proven unfit, the only way the other parent can file for abandonment is if they are gone for 2 years without any contact through mail, phone, or physical.

OkieMommyOf6
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

sadly yes. my husband and his ex has joint custody and for 4 years that woman would be good for maybe a couple weeks or so and disappear for weeks to months at a time. the last time she disappeared she was gone for 10 months with no contact. but because she was not gone for 2 years there was nothing we could do. we even had police reports of her being pulled over or arrested for drug charges and because they were dropped and she got them when she did not have the kids, we could not prove she is a unfit mother. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Ironic, it is Oklahoma, so she can stay away for months and come back and act like it never happened?

Quoting OkieMommyOf6:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Shittttt. Do you guys have custody? What are his chances if getting custody and her visitation from all of this?She left her dh and 3 kids last week and hasn't been seen since. We just know she left with a married guy and went to Texas.
Never mind just seen its joint.

Quoting OkieMommyOf6:

sadly yes. my husband and his ex has joint custody and for 4 years that woman would be good for maybe a couple weeks or so and disappear for weeks to months at a time. the last time she disappeared she was gone for 10 months with no contact. but because she was not gone for 2 years there was nothing we could do. we even had police reports of her being pulled over or arrested for drug charges and because they were dropped and she got them when she did not have the kids, we could not prove she is a unfit mother. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OkieMommyOf6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Depends on the state.  There should be a statute in the family law portion of that state's law that defines child abandonment.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Depends on the state.  In my state, they have to be gone for 2 years but if they don't change their phone number or address, it doesn't count because you still have a way to contact them.  It's horseshit.  Abandoning your kids should be a crime, even if the child is with the other parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I'm just worried if she gets to them she will run off back to Texas

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Depends on the state.  In my state, they have to be gone for 2 years but if they don't change their phone number or address, it doesn't count because you still have a way to contact them.  It's horseshit.  Abandoning your kids should be a crime, even if the child is with the other parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Did she say she wasn't coming back?
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Go file an emergency motion for temporary custody and a motion for custody.  Typically, if there is some sort of custody paperwork filed it is illegal to relocate the child.  If she comes back, just don't let her have them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm just worried if she gets to them she will run off back to Texas

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)