Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Left $24,000 after my grandmas death? Edit with more info!!

Posted by   + Show Post
My grandma recently passed away. She was in an Alzheimer's unit for 5 years prior to her death. Before she started going down hill she told my brother sister cousins and I that she had money for us and it was in her will. My brother is supost to get a larger sum then the rest of us because he was her favorite and the first born great grandson. Well at the funeral I asked my great aunt about the will her and my uncle said there was not a will.

We all became feroius that they would lie about it, I contacted my grandmas lawyer and they do have a will on file for her, I should know every thing Monday.

My aunt was spending my grandmas money before she even died, she bought a new car and did renos to her house with her money, my question is if she spent all the money but there is a will that says my siblings cousin and I are intitled to our money will she have to pay us back?

Also she said for the 5 of us not including my brother there was 120,000 supost to be split which is 24,000 each. That is a lot of money so could she go to prison if she spent it?

Btw my brother is poa but is in prison, also jut so you can see where I am coming from my aunt uncle and grandma sued my great grandma ( the on who just passed) for there fathers money after he passed and she was 80 at the time, it broke her heart.
She wrote them all out of the will after this so I do not think for one second that they wouldn't all jump in and take what is ours that our grandma wanted us to have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
My3beautys
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Yes because she done spent money that wasnt hers so I'm sure she will be spending more now that grandmas gone, and she hit my aunt at the funeral so I don't see it as that tacky the way she behaved was tacky and she told us after she left she would no longer speak to our family anymore

Quoting coleysmama:

Really? You asked at the funeral?

happy41ce
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Sounds like you are money hungry and worried about other shit rather than the fact she passed... Smh
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think you're privy to all the expenses in a nursing care facility.

And again if your aunt had power of attorney she could still make a case for a new car, regardless, of if your grandma left or not.

I just think you sound cold a callous , asking about a will at the funeral and now worrying about the money instead of grieving your grandmother.

Today is the 26th anniversary of my mothers death, I would give every dime i've ever earned to talk to her one more time.

I can't IMAGINE someone asking me about her will before she was even burried.

Quoting My3beautys:

My grandmas monthly income was enough to pay her nursing home stay, and the car was bought after she was in the nursing home and my grandma never left there the doctor comes to her.

I know the money isn't more important then my grandma but she always told us that it was ours and never let anyone take it from us.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

If your aunt had power of attorney, you would probably all have to group together to sue her for misuse of the funds, however if she has a decent lawyer, and was grannys care taker, she has a pretty good arguement in getting a new car , house reno's etc if it could all be relatable to helping take care of granny.

End of life care is expensive, especially if she was in a care facility, its possible grandma wanted to leave you something but at the end of the day after all the expenses are taken care of it could very well be gone.

Try to remember your grandmothers life instead of her money - it will be easier for you to find peace

km1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting ninjakids:

I worked for John Hancock... If she was the poa & was taking care of her expenses etc. legally she can fight and recieve the money, especially if said aunt paid for the funeral. Ive seen it constant times. Also if the money was named in the will but the bene in life insurance was different it goes to the bene regardless of the will.

This part is correct.

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

You dont know what money was or wasn't hers.

You are just assuming on things you honestly don't have a clue about.

Quoting My3beautys:

Yes because she done spent money that wasnt hers so I'm sure she will be spending more now that grandmas gone, and she hit my aunt at the funeral so I don't see it as that tacky the way she behaved was tacky and she told us after she left she would no longer speak to our family anymore

Quoting coleysmama:

Really? You asked at the funeral?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Was the reception held at the community center in the trailer park?
My3beautys
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Seriously fuck you

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lmao at "supost" and "feroius"... I think those are my two favorite misspellings. Alzheimer's though... I'm impressed. Did you google it for the spelling? lol

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

If she had power of attorney over your grandmothers money - there is nothing you can do.  And she most likely did, as Alzheimers patients can't really handle their own affairs.  Not to mention that caring for an Alzheimers patient is expensive in itself - an Alzheimers unit for a few years could have easily gone through all that money and more - medicare would only pay for a small portion of it.

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Oh come onnnnn supost!?

Lighten up!

Quoting My3beautys:

Seriously fuck you

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lmao at "supost" and "feroius"... I think those are my two favorite misspellings. Alzheimer's though... I'm impressed. Did you google it for the spelling? lol

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

When was the last time you saw your grandmother?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN