Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Left $24,000 after my grandmas death? Edit with more info!!

Posted by   + Show Post
My grandma recently passed away. She was in an Alzheimer's unit for 5 years prior to her death. Before she started going down hill she told my brother sister cousins and I that she had money for us and it was in her will. My brother is supost to get a larger sum then the rest of us because he was her favorite and the first born great grandson. Well at the funeral I asked my great aunt about the will her and my uncle said there was not a will.

We all became feroius that they would lie about it, I contacted my grandmas lawyer and they do have a will on file for her, I should know every thing Monday.

My aunt was spending my grandmas money before she even died, she bought a new car and did renos to her house with her money, my question is if she spent all the money but there is a will that says my siblings cousin and I are intitled to our money will she have to pay us back?

Also she said for the 5 of us not including my brother there was 120,000 supost to be split which is 24,000 each. That is a lot of money so could she go to prison if she spent it?

Btw my brother is poa but is in prison, also jut so you can see where I am coming from my aunt uncle and grandma sued my great grandma ( the on who just passed) for there fathers money after he passed and she was 80 at the time, it broke her heart.
She wrote them all out of the will after this so I do not think for one second that they wouldn't all jump in and take what is ours that our grandma wanted us to have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Replies (61-70):
xElizabethx
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM

My dad is a real estate attorney. He primarily handles wills, estates, closings, and power of attorneys. I sub in for his secretary occasionally and there is always someone who calls in and thinks such a thing as a reading of the will (like on tv) exists. Sure, you can do it, but that apparently is not how it is normally done...I know that isn't your question but it just popped into my head.

Anyway, I think her spending your great grandmother's money being illegal or not really depends on whether or not she legally had access to it. Technically, with a power of attorney, she could spend it however she likes. There are other caretaker terms and papers out there that have different guidelines but I'm not familiar with them. Also, if your great grandmother had money set aside in a trust that was designated to go to you and your siblings, I don't see how she could have touched it. A lot of wills deal with percents of an estate (IE 10% goes to charity, 10% goes to grandkid1, etc.) AFTER the bills and taxes have been paid. So if she had $120,000 at the time the will was created, it doesn't mean there would be that amount available now.

I can't believe you asked about the money at a funeral. That was pretty ballsy and inappropriate. If you're listed in the will you will be contacted by her attorney with the necessary information.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Long term care for Alzheimer's in a decent place 12 years ago was about $4,500.00 per month in a facility for a private room and bath, plus medical, and anything else she would need. Tthat 's just room and board. She might have had the long term care insurance, some do. And if she did that would have helped cover some expenses.

As for the aunt if the grandmother had her on the bank accounts those accounts would be considered 50% hers because a court can not determine who placed the cash there. So if she spent some of it, she will probably get away with it.. If she was a live in care taker she is entitled to be paid too. And who ever is the executive of her estate is also entitled to be paid a percentage of her estate. IF her name is and was on any accounts she can spend it, not much anyone can do about it.. So if you were worried, you should have offered to care for her instead of your relative placing her in a alzheimer's facility .

It was very RUDE way beyond tacky to ask about a inheritance at a funeral even within the first few weeks. I know, I've had relatives. ASK. (usually those who were piss poor, never did a thing in their lives and just waiting for some one old in the family to die, for some free money) Well in our case they ended up with basically NOTHING but about $1,000 each.. They actually though everything pretty much was going to them ,including the Big house worth 3/4 mill.. NOT, it went to the Son along with everything else. The one who helped her, loved her, paid attention to her.( was kind of funny ).

. If granny wanted you to have it and if she was so worried she should have put it into, Life insurance or other accounts, and investments that are/ were completely SAFE, and directly in your name..(maybe she did, only the lawyer knows) Anyone named in a will will be notified by mail by certified mail usually within 30 days.

I think when you said they sued great Grandma you mean they sued her for their fathers 50% of that estate. Instead of them letting great grandma have everything. A lot of times, When a elderly husband and wife are married and one dies the majority does go to his wife. The house, cars, etc. if the father left the kids out completely they can in many states sue for part of the estate, their fathers 50%. But most allow their mom who survives the father to have it until she dies, then its split were any step kids or parents? I'm sure she was livid.

The lawyer will have the reading of the will soon enough. Maybe she will make you wait until your more mature to get your share too. There can be age limits you know. I know a lot of elderly leave most to their adult kids and a little to the grand-kids, if anything, and if their parents are deceased the grand-kids get the parents share.

I hope you get what you expect, you will be extremely disappointed if you don't. And if you do receive something I hope you don't waste it. Do something constructive like buy a house so you have somewhere to live for your lifetime.

Remember those who earned it , saved it , and it took a very long time to accumulate a decent amount of money making good investments. (hopefully) And remember "never count your chickens before they hatch". (means do not count on everything you expect) because shit happens, things change, and IF she lost what many elderly lost in the economy lately she might be lucky to have some left. Hopefully she does and had a good financial advisor.

As for the Oldest and her Favorite getting more. That might be true or maybe not be so true. I couldn't imagine choosing one child or a grand child over another. Maybe your Brother helped her more and was more attentive, and kinder to her in her older years. Maybe her never asked her for anything while she was alive so he gets more. It might have her reason in her will. I know in many states, when someone is left out or very little is bequeathed some spell out why they left nothing to each, what they did. Maybe the Aunt & Uncle had NO idea she wrote a will, its possible. Not everyone tells, A will is usually a very private matter.

And just because they're related doesn't mean they have to leave anything to you or your siblings. She owed no one anything, these are GIFTS. I've seen people leave everything to strangers due to their families being so greedy. I've seen people make their kids match their inheritance yearly, so they had to work, and didn't get lazy once they inherit.. So anything can happen.. Just wait Until Monday.

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I couldn't read anymore after the "asked my aunt at the funeral about the will". Seriously.
xElizabethx
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM

This is a good point. Also, doesn't it take some time to figure out exactly how much money is left?? I've only been through the passing of my grandparents and mother-in-law and we were not privy to all of the financial stuff but my grandparent's estate wasn't settled for more than 9 months after my grandmother passed away. This may be longer than average because I do believe the executor of the estate faced some sort of penalty or would have one soon if he didn't finish doing whatever but it took time to go through all of her assets (stocks and bonds, life insurance, assess the value of her home and land, etc.), collect all of the funeral expense bills and medical bills, etc.

If the power of attorney was granted before any sort of confusion or dementia set in (I think it is called something else if the person is not considered mentally there) the OP's aunt could certainly argue that anything grandma said during her last five years was a result of confusion and the disease process.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

A friend who cannot post for herself said

if her grandmother mentioned to her about the money and she had alzheimers, and was NOT lucid, then there is a possibility that there may not be any money left to her. and a lawyer can't tell her how much money is left in the will over the phone if she isn't power of attorney.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Your aunt & uncle legally had a right to 50% of their fathers  estate even with grandma alive....Your grand father should have written a will leaving 100% to grandma which apparently he did not do....So legally they did nothing wrong. Your grandfather did , he neglected it by not writing the will properly or not having one......children are entitled...to 50%.( all share ) and IF your Mom is dead, then usually your entitled to her share too...  A lot of people do not realise this. depends on how its written and state laws..but at least check.

So anyone here who had a parent who's died..if that parent  didn't leave a will...You can legally go after 50% and win....just so you know.  As long as gram-pa's name was on accounts, and a certain type of property deed, they were entitled...to HIS SHARE.  50% to wife  50% to kids..UNLESS its written 100% to the wife or the deed states the house is wife's 100%.  In Many states.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM

No estate tax unless its well over a Million dollars.

ajrjj05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Oh jeez! with family like yours I woudln't want to be a part of it. Your just a money hungry bitch! In a nursing hom for 5 yrs.. Yeah that money is GONE!! the nursing home takes that stuff. 

ajrjj05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

She told you at 11?! that money is GONE!! GONE!! GONE!~!  go after the nursing home for it. 

Quoting My3beautys:

She told us when I was 11 and she didn't start having memory problems tell I was almost 16

Quoting FooLynRoo:

A friend who cannot post for herself said

if her grandmother mentioned to her about the money and she had alzheimers, and was NOT lucid, then there is a possibility that there may not be any money left to her. and a lawyer can't tell her how much money is left in the will over the phone if she isn't power of attorney.

My3beautys
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM
The problem is is that aunt said there is no will by the lawyer said there is, as rude as it is that's why I asked , she wants too keep us out of the loop, her lawyer didn't even know she had died so I'm not sure what's going on with my family, I am not greedy like everyone thinks but my grandma said ( maybe the money was spent on grandmas care) that she had money put aside just for us, an that if we had kids when she passed it goes to them and I want them to have it. I am truly just looking for advise not rude comments like in getting

Quoting Anonymous:

Long term care for Alzheimer's in a decent place 12 years ago was about $4,500.00 per month in a facility for a private room and bath, plus medical, and anything else she would need. Tthat 's just room and board. She might have had the long term care insurance, some do. And if she did that would have helped cover some expenses.

As for the aunt if the grandmother had her on the bank accounts those accounts would be considered 50% hers because a court can not determine who placed the cash there. So if she spent some of it, she will probably get away with it.. If she was a live in care taker she is entitled to be paid too. And who ever is the executive of her estate is also entitled to be paid a percentage of her estate. IF her name is and was on any accounts she can spend it, not much anyone can do about it.. So if you were worried, you should have offered to care for her instead of your relative placing her in a alzheimer's facility .

It was very RUDE way beyond tacky to ask about a inheritance at a funeral even within the first few weeks. I know, I've had relatives. ASK. (usually those who were piss poor, never did a thing in their lives and just waiting for some one old in the family to die, for some free money) Well in our case they ended up with basically NOTHING but about $1,000 each.. They actually though everything pretty much was going to them ,including the Big house worth 3/4 mill.. NOT, it went to the Son along with everything else. The one who helped her, loved her, paid attention to her.( was kind of funny ).

. If granny wanted you to have it and if she was so worried she should have put it into, Life insurance or other accounts, and investments that are/ were completely SAFE, and directly in your name..(maybe she did, only the lawyer knows) Anyone named in a will will be notified by mail by certified mail usually within 30 days.

I think when you said they sued great Grandma you mean they sued her for their fathers 50% of that estate. Instead of them letting great grandma have everything. A lot of times, When a elderly husband and wife are married and one dies the majority does go to his wife. The house, cars, etc. if the father left the kids out completely they can in many states sue for part of the estate, their fathers 50%. But most allow their mom who survives the father to have it until she dies, then its split were any step kids or parents? I'm sure she was livid.

The lawyer will have the reading of the will soon enough. Maybe she will make you wait until your more mature to get your share too. There can be age limits you know. I know a lot of elderly leave most to their adult kids and a little to the grand-kids, if anything, and if their parents are deceased the grand-kids get the parents share.

I hope you get what you expect, you will be extremely disappointed if you don't. And if you do receive something I hope you don't waste it. Do something constructive like buy a house so you have somewhere to live for your lifetime.

Remember those who earned it , saved it , and it took a very long time to accumulate a decent amount of money making good investments. (hopefully) And remember "never count your chickens before they hatch". (means do not count on everything you expect) because shit happens, things change, and IF she lost what many elderly lost in the economy lately she might be lucky to have some left. Hopefully she does and had a good financial advisor.

As for the Oldest and her Favorite getting more. That might be true or maybe not be so true. I couldn't imagine choosing one child or a grand child over another. Maybe your Brother helped her more and was more attentive, and kinder to her in her older years. Maybe her never asked her for anything while she was alive so he gets more. It might have her reason in her will. I know in many states, when someone is left out or very little is bequeathed some spell out why they left nothing to each, what they did. Maybe the Aunt & Uncle had NO idea she wrote a will, its possible. Not everyone tells, A will is usually a very private matter.

And just because they're related doesn't mean they have to leave anything to you or your siblings. She owed no one anything, these are GIFTS. I've seen people leave everything to strangers due to their families being so greedy. I've seen people make their kids match their inheritance yearly, so they had to work, and didn't get lazy once they inherit.. So anything can happen.. Just wait Until Monday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:33 AM
I think it's terrible that you brought up her will at the funeral.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)