Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Concerned about DS's weight....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
My DS is almost 8 and a big boy. He is about 75lbs. I took him to the dr after he gained 13lbs since his last apt in march. He wasn't TOO concerned and said we would keep an eye on it. DS has always been big.....<99th percentile since he was a month old. (He's 94th now). This weight gain was noticed earlier this winter and was right after football season (which was 4 days a week 2.5 hours a day in full pads.... It ran aug-oct). I was hoping football would help him loose weight. *sigh*. His eating habits are really good. He is not a snacker, I don't allow candy hardly ever which he is fine with because he doesn't like it much....no soda or juice, just water and skim milk and overall as a family we eat pretty healthy.

As far as activities he is pretty active. He plays a sport every season (football, baseball, karate, and basketball). I really thought this weight gain would be the cause of a growth spurt but so far no large height increase.

My biggest issue is he is starting to feel bad about himself. It kills me. Most the weight is in his belly and also has a chubby face. He has gotten teased at school and is having a hard time making friends. What else can I do to help him? Since he was big from the beginning does that seal his fate?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM
He might just be a big boy. I have a cousin that at the age of 13 yes 13 was 6"2' and around 215 wore a size 16 shoe. He just one day he just had a major growth spurt height wise. As long as he's active and not eating junk I would worry about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Holy crap! 6'2 at 13? That's crazy! I'm hoping DS shoots up but I dunno.....he has always been chubby and what I thought was normal baby/toddler fat just never went away.

Quoting Anonymous:

He might just be a big boy. I have a cousin that at the age of 13 yes 13 was 6"2' and around 215 wore a size 16 shoe. He just one day he just had a major growth spurt height wise. As long as he's active and not eating junk I would worry about it.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Have you taken him to his doctor? Ask the doctor to do some blood work. He may have a thyroid issue or something.

Of course, he may just be a big kid.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

When was his last growth spurt for height? Chances are that he'll put some height on and outgrow the chubby belly/face. My husband was chubby until 6th grade (12), when he shot up from 5'3" to 5'11" over the summer, and slimmed right out.

How tall are his father, uncles, and grandfathers? That's an indicator of how tall he might get.

ecerka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM
My nephew is very big too and plays in sports. The problem with him is he sits in front of a tv or computer plying games or watching tv.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

My younger brother was like that when we were kids, everyone called him Chubs (terrible, I know). He broke desks or just couldn't fit into them at all. He was both tall and chubby faced, basically just a football player type build. Anyway, he's a grown man now and has completely thinned out, it was just a boy thing. As long as your son eats right and exercises, he should be fine. 

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

My two boys, now 20 and 18, were both chubby. When they got into high school, they started caring more. They both bulked up the muscles and lost the fat through diet and exercise.

My dd is chubby, too. My pediatrician sounds like yours. Finally, I put her on a portion control diet to try to maintain her weight. I don't know if it will work long-term.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM
He may be getting ready for a height growth spurt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM

It's common for kids that age to grow "out" in preparation for growing "up." As long as he's active and eating well, it's nothing to worry about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)