Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I muzzled her.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

my dog that is and I feel horrible, but I dont know what else to do.

ok, so Ive had her since she was a pup, shell be 5 later this month. About two years ago, we brought a male dog home. THey got along GREAT for about a year. Then, my female started attacking the male. For no reason. They could just be standing at the door, then bam, she would attack him. He always just tried to get away. It doesnt happen all the time. Maybe once a month.

Ive talked to the vet, he couldnt give me a reason, other than she may be in pain and to give her baby tylenol every day. Theres nothing wrong with her but i tried it anyways for about a month, nothing changed. I kept them seperated at all costs, but now one keeps jumping over the gate and I dont want to chance anything happening.

So, I put a muzzle on my dog. Its a mesh muzzle. She doesnt wear it constantly. She doesnt really wear it much because most the time I just keep them seperated. (they dont jump the gate when im home unless I go outside) 

Any suggestions on what I could do other than a muzzle? She looks so sad and I hate it, but I dont know what else to do. 

They are both fixed too btw. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Behaviorist?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audreesmama
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Dog training would help tremendously. I'm sorry, I can imagine how terrible that may be. Has she been good with other dogs in the past? Is she getting plenty of exercise and does she have a separate food bowl?

chellec04
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Dog whisperer? Or she might just really hate the other dog....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Behaviorist?

Ive thought of that, but the closest is an hour away. I dont have that kind of money to pay for the behaviorist and the driving back and forth. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Quoting audreesmama:

Dog training would help tremendously. I'm sorry, I can imagine how terrible that may be. Has she been good with other dogs in the past? Is she getting plenty of exercise and does she have a separate food bowl?

Shes always been fine with other dogs before. I take her running every day and they eat in seperate rooms, in different bowls. 

audreesmama
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Hmm I would definitely look into training then. Do you have a Petsmart nearby? I used to be a trainer for them and it's pretty good training. They can work out the issues between the two dogs and teach them how to live cohesively.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting audreesmama:

Shes always been fine with other dogs before. I take her running every day and they eat in seperate rooms, in different bowls. 

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM
What breed? I had that issue with my female Pit and my Chow. I got some advice from another Pit owner and advocate and I used e-collars on them. Didn't take long before they decided that fighting wasn't a good idea. I wound up giving my Chow back to her breeder because she was an asshole but they didn't fight anymore
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Closest one is an hour or so away. 

Quoting audreesmama:

Hmm I would definitely look into training then. Do you have a Petsmart nearby? I used to be a trainer for them and it's pretty good training. They can work out the issues between the two dogs and teach them how to live cohesively.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting audreesmama:

audreesmama
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Do a google search and find somewhere that offers training. IMO training would be most beneficial.

Quoting Anonymous:

Closest one is an hour or so away. 

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting audreesmama:

she_walk_softly
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Have the girl lay down on command next to the other dog , praise when she is not looking at him. Practice often and the same deal after she goes after him.A cage face muzzle would be better then the mesh that way she can't rub her nose and can open her mouth, drink and eat small kibble. Lots of praise and ooh so pretty when you put the muzzle on. Best of luck .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)