Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Really? Are you really that stupid? * Long *

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 104 Replies
1 mom liked this

Let me just start off with this : working where I do, you see a lot of strange odd ball people every day. You see all types, pretty much. And that includes the idiots ( I'm sorry for those who don't like that word, but there is no other word out there to describe these people. ).

At the store I work at, our pumps are pre-pay only, unless you have a debit or credit card. Then you can use them at the pump and fill up without even coming in the store. We have HUGE red and white signs on every single pump that specifically say ( in HUGE red block letters ) CASH CUSTOMERS PLEASE PRE-PAY INSIDE ONLY. 99% of our customers do, where as that 1% just gets under my skin sometimes, and today was one of those times.

This guy pulls in to the lot in this gargantuan van and pulls up to a pump. He gets out, reads the sign, and still pulls the nozzle off the hook. He hit his flavour of gas, and stood there, looking at me like I was an idiot. He was flapping his arms around like a bird, then after that, he went walking around to every single freaking pump, reading the signs on all those pumps! I didn't know the guy at all, so there was no way he was getting the pump cut on for him. You would think now, ladies, that by this time he would have realized he needed to come into the store and pay, right? NO! He hangs the nozzle back up, let's it sit for a few seconds, and then pulls it off again! By this time, I'm just standing there looking at him, trying to tell him that he has to come in in any form that I can ( I had other customers in the store so I couldn't leave the register and we have no intercom system ). He stood out there for at least 10 minutes before he came in. This is what happened :

Me : Yes'sir? Can I help you?

Him : Yeah ya can. Why won't that pump cut on? I've tried it twice but it ain't doing nothing.

Me: Sir, all the pumps are pre-pay only, unless you have a debit or credit card, then you can use the card outside at the pump, and fill up.

Him : Yeah, I saw those signs, but I figured if I stood out there long enough and gave you enough mad looks, you would cut it on for me.

Me: 0_o wtf?

Him: So you gonna cut the pump on?

Me: No sir. Not unless I have a cash deposit I can't cut it on for you. I'm sorry.

Him: Looks like I'm going to be standing out there giving you looks for a while then, And when you do cut it on, just for you being a bitch, I will drive off just to prove a point.

He went back out side after that, and stood outside for 20 more minutes, glaring at me! I got tired of hearing his pump going off, so I silenced it ( I could still see the little flashing light, just no noise ). He finally left after flipping me off.

Then, a couple hours later, this woman pulls into the lot, and I am covered up busy. I got thru the busy  rush and notice that this lady is still out there. I figure she's gathering money up or something, so I leave her alone, and go about getting my paperwork in order for shift change. Then a regular customer comes in, and tells me that this lady outside is asking people to pump her gas for her. I told him I would take care of it, and he got his stuff, and left. I walked outside, and asked the lady if she was all right. She said of course she was, but she wanted someone to pump her gas for her simply because she didn't want to have to get out of the car! She said that she hates pumping gas, and always has someone else do it for her. I told her that there was no way that I was able to do it because I had to get back inside because I had customers coming in. OMG! She got pissed! She said that I could do it if I wanted, and I just wanted to be mean to her and that I was jealous of her because she was more * high class * than I am. I just turned and walked off at that. She stayed outside asking every single person she could see if they would pump her gas for her. Every single person said no, and I had to go tell her that if she didn't stop, she had 2 choices: either pump her own gas, pay for it and leave, or I call the police for her hassling my customers. She left, but a friend of mine who works at a station down the road came in later on and told me about this crazy woman who came in demanding that people pump her gas for her. He said she got so.....vocal.....that they DID have to end up calling the cops to get her to leave.

Then, right before shift change, this guy comes in and goes over to the nacho machine. He just stands there looking at the machine for like, 10 minutes. I asked him if he needed help, and he said no. Okay, so I went back about my business of waiting on my other customers. Next thing I know, this guy yells out * HEY!!!! HOW THE HELL YA WORK THIS DAMN THING?! * I looked over, and he is trying to get the cheese out by hitting the whole damn machine with his fist! I told him to stop, that I would get his cheese for him ( before he killed the damn thing ) and he ( once again ) yells at me * NO! I CAN GET IT! JUST TELL ME HOW TO WORK THE DAMN THING!  * So, I told him. All he had to do is push the BIG BRIGHT ASS YELLOW BUTTON that says PUSH HERE on the button! He proceeds to ask me this :

Where is the button?

I just dropped my head. I told him its the only big bright yellow button on the whole machine, and its the one that says PUSH HERE on it. He gets the cheese out, and then asks me where the nacho chips are while STARING at the damn chips! He eventually got his nacho's, then spotted our hot dog machine. This is what happened:

Him: Are those sausages?

Me: No, sir. Those are hot dogs.

Him: Are you sure? They look like sausages.

Me: Yes sir, I'm sure. I just put them out a few hours ago. They are hot dogs, and the buns are in the warmer below them. All you have to do is raise the metal door to get to the buns.

Him: Those are sausages. Those ain't hot dogs. You don't put sausages in a hot dog bun!

He went on like that for ages ( long enough for the cheese on the nachos to cool off and become thick ), then he refused to pay for the nachos because the cheese was * cold and nasty *. When I told him that he IS going to pay for the nachos, and why his cheese got cold and * nasty *, he blamed me for lying to him about the hot dogs, saying that if I had just admitted to him that they are sausages, and not hot dogs, his cheese wouldn't be cold and nasty. He did pay for the nachos, but he threw them away as soon as he left.

Thank god my second shift girl came in a few minutes later. I all but bowed at her feet when I saw her come in!

Are people really that stupid? I mean, I know it takes all kinds to run a country, but really?! Have you ever had anyone say something so obviously stupid or done something so obviously stupid to or around you?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Wow. Crazy day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
4 moms liked this

lol. I deal with stupid people all day....I work at Walmart.

goodygumdrops
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

And  people like that are the reason I quit working in restaurants.  

maryjmom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I worked at Wal-Mart for 2 years. I thought I had seen it all in that 2 year time span. Boy was I wrong! My favourite type of customer now are the ones that come in with lotto tickets, and you scan them, tell them the winning amount that they won, and they just stare at you. You ask them if they want cash or tickets, and they say * yeah. * O_o I ask them * yeah * to what? The cash, or the tickets? And they STILL just say * yeah. * At that I usually just give them their money back, and half the time, they tell me that they wanted tickets, not the money! I will explain to them that I had asked them if they wanted cash or tickets, and that they said yeah, but I didn't know what they said yeah too, so that's why I just gave them cash back. I love it when they say * oh well, I figured you would know I wanted tickets. *

I just tell them that * No, I didn't know, and I don't have the capability to read minds, but I sure wish I did cause it would save a lot of time. *

Quoting Anonymous:

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this

And that would be why I can't work with the public. I mean, for some silly reason, we aren't allowed to help clean up the gene pool. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Wal- Mart doesnt sell lotto here in MI, but I dealt with lotto when I worked at another grocery store.

Quoting maryjmom:

I worked at Wal-Mart for 2 years. I thought I had seen it all in that 2 year time span. Boy was I wrong! My favourite type of customer now are the ones that come in with lotto tickets, and you scan them, tell them the winning amount that they won, and they just stare at you. You ask them if they want cash or tickets, and they say * yeah. * O_o I ask them * yeah * to what? The cash, or the tickets? And they STILL just say * yeah. * At that I usually just give them their money back, and half the time, they tell me that they wanted tickets, not the money! I will explain to them that I had asked them if they wanted cash or tickets, and that they said yeah, but I didn't know what they said yeah too, so that's why I just gave them cash back. I love it when they say * oh well, I figured you would know I wanted tickets. *

I just tell them that * No, I didn't know, and I don't have the capability to read minds, but I sure wish I did cause it would save a lot of time. *

Quoting Anonymous:

Saille717
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM
7 moms liked this

12 years of retail management, upwards of 20 years of retail in total.  Yes.  People really ARE that stupid.  It does not take their kind to run the country, but unfortunately the liberals won't let us use them for target practice.  

tossed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Don't you sometimes wonder if you are on hidden camera? The guy who threatened to get gas and drive off would have caused me to call the police. Glad your day is over.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM

My DH used to work at a little Amaco service station in a "nicer" part of town.   He got a ton of freaks in there.   The owner of the place chose not to sell cigarattes himself, but he did offer a machine so people could buy them, but then the state of KS made them illegal to protect kids.  

Anyway, they had a no cig policy for AGES and AGES...  people would argue heatedly with my DH about them not having cigs...  insisting he was lying and he needed to sell cigs to them.

Plus, he would shut down pumps, turn off lights, and count the drawer down and people would get mad that he was closed.   They would bang and yell on the door until he threatened to call the cops.

maryjmom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If they did ( and sometimes, I really do wish they would let us ) I would have perfect aim and be a perfect shot by now.

Quoting Saille717:

12 years of retail management, upwards of 20 years of retail in total.  Yes.  People really ARE that stupid.  It does not take their kind to run the country, but unfortunately the liberals won't let us use them for target practice.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)