Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my 2 week old wont sleep unless im holding him

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
today is the first time he has been this way he is gasy and keeps throwing up also.i dont want this to become habit what can i do?he just wants to lay on his belly today
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Replies (21-26):
SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Yes. This. Everything she said :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Great! I only mentioned that because there is a misconception that breast fed babies don't sttn. All 4 of my babies started sleeping 6 hours by 3 weeks of age and 12 hours by 8 weeks of age.

What I did was prop myself up with pillows behind me, put baby on my chest and pillows on both sides of me to prop my elbows up and keep my hands on the babies back. It was comfy and I certainly didn't go into a deep sleep but we all got more sleep this way. By 4 weeks I was ready for more sleep and the babies did great sleeping on their own! Maybe it was luck? But it happened all 4 times. I like to think my routines and the way I mother is why I have great babies. But who knows? Try and nap when baby naps. If he lets you lay him down during the day, sleep! Don't worry about the house! You both need your rest! Good luck.
Quoting Anonymous:

he is bf also

Quoting Anonymous:

He's 2 weeks old. This is normal. He went from being in a warm secure belly to being in the big wide open bright world. Hold him. Be a mother. He wont need to be held forever. I hold my babies 24/7 for their first month. Then start laying them down at night and every single one of them have slept through the night ever since. They feel loved and secure. And yes, they were breast fed.

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:15 AM

You cannot spoil an infant that young.  Hold him and do what you can to soothe him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Well then, it's a good thing he's not handling the feeding, huh? I'm sorry he's not supportive of breastfeeding, that's something I'll never understand. Just keep it up, 2 weeks is a great start!

Quoting Anonymous:

his dad is hardly ever around.he did it to piss me off i guess.i dont even have bottles here so he had to have brought it with him.he doesnt want ds breastfed

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeeeeeep.... that's probably it right there. :-( No more formula, at least until you get a solid breastfeeding relationship down. Later on you can pump for dh to feed him, I did that with our first.

Quoting Anonymous:

his dad gave him formula this morning when i was in the shower(not happy at all about that)i think that may be whats wrong

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you have anything to eat that may be causing the gas? For me, spicy food, and some dark green veggies made my dd gassy.

Quoting Anonymous:

he is bf also

Quoting Anonymous:

He's 2 weeks old. This is normal. He went from being in a warm secure belly to being in the big wide open bright world. Hold him. Be a mother. He wont need to be held forever. I hold my babies 24/7 for their first month. Then start laying them down at night and every single one of them have slept through the night ever since. They feel loved and secure. And yes, they were breast fed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM
He just wants comfort. My children both did this when they were infants. He is brand new and still sees himself as a part of you not as a separate entity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM
thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

Well then, it's a good thing he's not handling the feeding, huh? I'm sorry he's not supportive of breastfeeding, that's something I'll never understand. Just keep it up, 2 weeks is a great start!

Quoting Anonymous:

his dad is hardly ever around.he did it to piss me off i guess.i dont even have bottles here so he had to have brought it with him.he doesnt want ds breastfed

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeeeeeep.... that's probably it right there. :-( No more formula, at least until you get a solid breastfeeding relationship down. Later on you can pump for dh to feed him, I did that with our first.

Quoting Anonymous:

his dad gave him formula this morning when i was in the shower(not happy at all about that)i think that may be whats wrong

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you have anything to eat that may be causing the gas? For me, spicy food, and some dark green veggies made my dd gassy.

Quoting Anonymous:

he is bf also

Quoting Anonymous:

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Hold him at 2 weeks. Also, just an idea, but if he continues to spit up quite frequently, tell your doc and let him rest at an incline. I got to hold my 2nd child for the first month non stop, and I remember going a couple of days without bathing because of shear exhaustion... Welcome to mommy hood! With my first, I wanted to hold him so badly, but he was a NICU baby, and I didn't even get to see him for the first 24 hours, and it was nearly 4 days before I could hold him. 

My older one is suc a huge cuddle bug now, even as a preschooler, but one thing that really helped was mastering the technique of a good swaddle.... Some babies will fight and get their arms free, but that doesn't mean they don't want to be swaddled.... Think about it, they have been cramped up and not able to freely move in your belly for at least the last third of your pregnancy. They are used to your heartbeat, warmth, voice, and being somewhat confined. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)