Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

pet search

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I am trying to find a pet for me and three yr old dd. We tried a cat this summer, but between fleas and it clawing my fruniture and that nasty litter box, it didn't last long. Dd is scared of dogs, and honestly we are not home enough for a dog, it wouldn't be fair to them. She wants a fish. I suck at fish. I cannot keep them alive for anything. I've tried various kinds from different stores throughout the years, and they all freaking die. I don't want to spend the next five years searching for an identical match to "Mr fishy.". So I'm thinking a hamster or something. I've had a hamster before. Small, easy to care for, cute and fun to watch. A turtle is out, her dad has turtles and those things are so nasty.

What pets do you have (if any) for your kids?

To clarify on the cat... I am not some kind of horrible irresponsible pet owner. When I got the cat it had fleas, I took it to the vet the next day and got it treated. But my house EXPLODED with fleas. Dd was covered in bites. I sprayed and vaccumed daily and had an exterminator. It took four months and a ton of money to get rid of them. And dd freaked out every time the cat jumped on her, or got close to her, or me. I gave the cat to my aunt and she has a wonderful home. I had a cat for 14 years before. But right now, with my work and dd, a cat is not good a opion.

As far as fish. I have no idea. It's like they look at me and just flip over dead.

I have had a hamster before. I had one for five years while I was in college.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM

We have cats and a cockatiel. The bird would probably not be a good choice if you're not home often - they're very social creatures. Aside from that, a well-raised 'tiel is an awesome pet, and with the proper care they can live a long time. Ours is 19 years old and going strong.

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM

We have cats & dogs, but my son really loves our chickens.  And I had a parakeet when I was little - they are fun.  I also had a hamster.  Between the 2, I would get a bird.

beachbabies6
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Ginea pig  , chinchilla , parakeet , small lizard maybe ?

Lalalie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Um... If you can't handle a cat then you shouldn't get anything. If you can't even handle a fish, then you shouldn't even be considering a pet at this point.

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
2 dogs and 2 cats. We had fish, about six. They took two years to die off do that was pretty good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hplesha
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
We have a cat.

Look into your local humane societies or shelters. If you look on petfinder.com those pets are generally $150 or more.
betsyabel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I would rather clean a litter box than a hamster cage.  Maybe you should wait a few years before you get a pet, that way your dd is old enough to help with it.

We have 3 dogs and 2 cats inside and numerous barn cats outside.

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed. Taking an animal in is a commitment to them, not a whim. Please consider not having a pet if you are not able to truly commit! 

Quoting Lalalie:

Um... If you can't handle a cat then you shouldn't get anything. If you can't even handle a fish, then you shouldn't even be considering a pet at this point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM
I would get her a fake pet.

You shouldn't get any more pets if you can't handle a cat or keep fish alive.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
This.

Not trying to be mean!

Quoting Lalalie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)