Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

pet search

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I am trying to find a pet for me and three yr old dd. We tried a cat this summer, but between fleas and it clawing my fruniture and that nasty litter box, it didn't last long. Dd is scared of dogs, and honestly we are not home enough for a dog, it wouldn't be fair to them. She wants a fish. I suck at fish. I cannot keep them alive for anything. I've tried various kinds from different stores throughout the years, and they all freaking die. I don't want to spend the next five years searching for an identical match to "Mr fishy.". So I'm thinking a hamster or something. I've had a hamster before. Small, easy to care for, cute and fun to watch. A turtle is out, her dad has turtles and those things are so nasty.

What pets do you have (if any) for your kids?

To clarify on the cat... I am not some kind of horrible irresponsible pet owner. When I got the cat it had fleas, I took it to the vet the next day and got it treated. But my house EXPLODED with fleas. Dd was covered in bites. I sprayed and vaccumed daily and had an exterminator. It took four months and a ton of money to get rid of them. And dd freaked out every time the cat jumped on her, or got close to her, or me. I gave the cat to my aunt and she has a wonderful home. I had a cat for 14 years before. But right now, with my work and dd, a cat is not good a opion.

As far as fish. I have no idea. It's like they look at me and just flip over dead.

I have had a hamster before. I had one for five years while I was in college.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (11-16):
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM
They have fish bowls that have fake fish in them, they swim around. I'd look it up and see how that goes...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tessamalk
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

If you think a litterbox is nasty, you'll HATE cleaning out a rodent cage... and that needs to be done regularly.

Yogamom08
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with previous posters. A pet is a responsibility and commitment.

Fleas can be dealt with and kept away. Cats can be trained to not claw on furniture and to use a scratching post instead. And the litter....well, what did you expect? It needs to be scooped daily.

The fact that you "tried" a cat and then gave it up says that you don't need to have a pet, especially since you can't even keep a fish alive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

We have 3 cats, 2 dogs, 2 fish and a guinea pig.

My vote would be for the guinea pig.  He is smarter than a hamster and more interactive.  The cage is bigger though and he needs more than just pellets for food (fresh veggies once or twice a day.)  I line the cage with cedar (or pine) chips and only clean once a week.  It's pretty easy to clean, I just dump it out and take a quick swipe with a clorox wipe (to get rid of rest of residue and germs), rinse, dry, then refill.

Our guinea pig, Carmelo, chirps whenever we open the drawer in the fridge.  He learned quickly that's where his food is--so when he hears it, he gets excited cause it may be time to eat.  He also chirps for attention when we are walking by.  He will climb up the bars a bit to let me know that he wants me to pet him.  We take him out of the cage for a bit every day (or every few days.)  We let him run around on the floor.  He also likes to be held (like a baby) and will snuggle in.

I had hamsters when growing up and none of them were ever this affectionate or interactive.

We use Carmelo to set up chores for the boys (3 & 4.)  One of their chores is to get his veggies out of the fridge and feed him (which by the way is fun---he insists on being handed the veggies...)  It's their way of helping take care of him while also teaching about chores and requirements.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Please see the edit

Quoting Lalalie:

Um... If you can't handle a cat then you shouldn't get anything. If you can't even handle a fish, then you shouldn't even be considering a pet at this point.

Lalalie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Okay, I see your edit.

So, I will go on to the second part that I wasn't even going to put because I didn't want to be rude.

Animals are not fashion statements. They are not something you just get, to have. If you are busy, have committments which will not allow you to care for an animal then please do not get one.

Hamsters may be small, and caged... and therefore seem easy, but they, like all other animals, need attention and love. Cages are convenient, and easy to clean but I would hope it wouldn't be in there ALL the time.

Also, when looking for a pet please also look in to their life span.

Now, can you care for another being fully at the moment? Or do you just want something cute and 'convenient'?

Quoting Anonymous:

Please see the edit

Quoting Lalalie:

Um... If you can't handle a cat then you shouldn't get anything. If you can't even handle a fish, then you shouldn't even be considering a pet at this point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)