Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE..... I need help. I may have killed kitty

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Long story short. My neighbor had a cat in his yard that had kittens. He threatened to kill them all so we took them in and gave all but one away. We call him kitty. He was sick so we spent the money to get him better, but we don't have a lot of money to begin with so ive been keeping my eye out for someone who wants him.
Well, he jumped in the dryer last night and I turned it on. After 30 seconds seconds of thunking I checked to see what the hell was in there. Out comes kitty. He seemed normal, but today he isn't. He its under our table. Usually he is so loving but he didn't pur when I picked him up and he has been under the table all morning. We can't afford a vet bill and I don't want to just drop him off and he ends up getting put down because why save a cat that probably will sit in a shelter for years? What should I do?

UPDATE
kitty hid all day and wasnt acting normal. But I made chicken for dinner and he came out and ate some. Then he curled up with me. Then at 2 am he climbed in a clean bag of cat liter and pooped in it. Jerk lol. He seems much better now.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I'm not a troll. What screams troll to you? Why would I make this up?

Quoting Anonymous:

Put it in the washer. Wash. Rinse. Dry. Repeat. Troll.

You're Welcome.

tessamalk
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

That happened to me once. Kitty was fine; she lived to be sixteen. Hope yours is all right!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I know , it's a awful feeling , if it makes you feel better , when my son was a toddler , he hid our hamster in the dryer to play hide and seek I didn't find the poor thing until after the dryer was finished and took the clothes out to fold , it wasn't pretty at all

Quoting Anonymous:

Its not mean, I just don't want him to die. I feel awful.

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor thing , does he act stunned or anything ? Just let him have a quiet place to rest , I hope kitty is ok , but if not most shelters will euthanize at little to no charge , I'm sorry , I hope that didn't sound mean

tessamalk
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Assuming kitty ends up  being okay... try to keep the dryer empty of clothes, or at least keep it closed when not in use. My cat (different one than previously mentioned) will go in there if we leave it open with clean dry clothes in it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Thank you. I posted anon because I didn't want people to harass me in other threads saying I shouldn't have taken him in if I didn't have a lot of money. I just didn't want my neighbor or a shelter to kill him, and now here we are.
Unfortunately everyone thinks I'm a troll. I wish I was.

Quoting gypsy30:

He might still be okay.  My cat was in the dryer a couple weeks ago when my son turned it on and as he's leaving the room and heading through the kitchen, he thought it sounded kind of loud.  She was in there for about 30 seconds too, and she's fine.  I would just keep an eye on your cat.  It was a good thing you did, rescuing them. 

Bigdog3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

If he was only in there for 30 seconds, his behavior may be due to being bounced around in there. He could have a head injury, or he could just be sore and achy.

Call your local shelter and ask for a referral to a low-cost vet clinic in your area. People always call my shelter for that, and we do refer them to excellent clinics that are extrememly inexpensive.

Jynnifer292
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I am not sure why people are calling OP a troll. It happens all the time. Cats always find warm places to curl up. My sister's cat used to climb in the dryer all the time while she was trying to fold clothes. The first time she did it, she did turn it on without knowing the cat was in there.

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Well, I've been looking through articles on it and it seems like it should have been obvious right away if he were seriously injured. Maybe he has a bit of a headache, or is just feeling a little traumatized. The main risks from dryers are burns/overheating and damage to internal organs, which shouldn't be an issue since you got him out right away. Keep an eye on him though. Maybe crack open a can of tuna and guage his reaction. The poor boy deserves a treat anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

I did, they are. He walked from my lap to the table and walked pretty straight too

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Check his eyes. Are his pupils the same size? He may have thunked his head pretty hard.

You should always check your dryer when you have cats.

gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

When I first started rescuing stray cats off the street 20 years ago, we didn't have a lot of money either.  Over the years, we rescued like 10-12 of them.  Only 5 stayed permanently.  Some of the others would go outside for a day and then they were gone.  We never saw them again.  When I had 4 living here, I knew there was another one downtown living in a burned out car.  I really didn't want another cat, but it was cold and snowing and my husband and I went down there and brought the cat home.  That was 10 years ago.  He just died a couple months ago of old age.  No way could we afford to get all these cats their shots when we took them in, but we did manage to get them all fixed.  I qualified for a program where it was pay for one, and they'd do one for free.  My thought was this, because I know some people will say if you can't afford them, don't have them: It's better that they're living with me and I'm taking care of them and feeding them and giving them a place to live that's safe and warm rather than leaving them on the street to fend for themselves. I didn't care and I made no apologies.  You should feel the same way.  You're doing a good thing for those cats and you should be commended, not slammed.  Of those 5 cats, I still have 2.  The others have all died from old age but they had a good and pampered life with us.  None of them ever had their shots.  Now, we have rescued 3 dogs over the last 5 years.  Our financial situation is better now, and they have all their shots and are fixed, and I keep up on their shots.  I feel that's more important because they come into contact with other people and animals more than the cats did.  But if I couldn't, I still wouldn't make any apologies.  They're better off with me than living in a cage or on the street.  So I think what you did was a really good thing and if the situation ever comes up again, I think you should do it again.  There's too too many animals that are unwanted and uncared for, and they need help.  Keep me updated on your kitty.  LIke I said, mine survived a tumble in the dryer.  She was curled up in there in the clothes, and my son didn't realize it when he turned it on.  I've heard a few horror stories though where people didnt realize their cats were in there until they were done drying their clothes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you. I posted anon because I didn't want people to harass me in other threads saying I shouldn't have taken him in if I didn't have a lot of money. I just didn't want my neighbor or a shelter to kill him, and now here we are.
Unfortunately everyone thinks I'm a troll. I wish I was.

Quoting gypsy30:

He might still be okay.  My cat was in the dryer a couple weeks ago when my son turned it on and as he's leaving the room and heading through the kitchen, he thought it sounded kind of loud.  She was in there for about 30 seconds too, and she's fine.  I would just keep an eye on your cat.  It was a good thing you did, rescuing them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Our does the same thing. :/

To pee on the clean clothes. Fucking asshole. :/

Quoting tessamalk:

Assuming kitty ends up  being okay... try to keep the dryer empty of clothes, or at least keep it closed when not in use. My cat (different one than previously mentioned) will go in there if we leave it open with clean dry clothes in it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)