Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So freaking TACKY! *ETA*

Posted by   + Show Post

I covered up all personal info, but does anyone ELSE see something wrong with charging people to come to a baby shower?

Let me also add, the women who hosted this shower live in THE most exclusive part of Savannah, The Landings. I was looking forward to the shower, until I saw the $5.00 charge. When I called tpo RSVP, I told them why I wasn't coming; that it's tacky to expect money to defray the cost of the shower and that the hostesses needed a refresher from Miss Manners about it.

*ETA* the shower was for the wife of our associate priest. I am by no means blaming her, but could NOT believe the audacity of the people hosting thw shower to even A.) invite more people than the venue could hold, and B.) to CHARGE people for coming.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (301-310):
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Quoting finnbar:

This happened in SAVANNAH?????????
Ok, the women who hosted, are they really from blue blooded families or are they a. Yankee imports or b. Jumped up trash? If they are genuine southern women check the local graveyards. I expect a lot of disturbed soil from generations of their ancesters spinning like mad.

Quoting Aslen:

I covered up all personal info, but does anyone ELSE see something wrong with charging people to come to a baby shower?

Let me also add, the women who hosted this shower live in THE most exclusive part of Savannah, The Landings. I was looking forward to the shower, until I saw the $5.00 charge. When I called tpo RSVP, I told them why I wasn't coming; that it's tacky to expect money to defray the cost of the shower and that the hostesses needed a refresher from Miss Manners about it.

*ETA* the shower was for the wife of our associate priest. I am by no means blaming her, but could NOT believe the audacity of the people hosting thw shower to even A.) invite more people than the venue could hold, and B.) to CHARGE people for coming.

They've got to be new money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Quoting cLanief:

Well no because I don't throw parties unless its a shit I have type of thing or game nights where everyone brings something. But I wouldn't mind kicking in 5 Freakin dollars to an event that's supposed to honor someone. Ffs.. everyone expects a fuckin free meal and drinks just because they show up to something because they might bring a gift for the person the party Is thrown for. And who gives a crap that they're apparently loaded... geez!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't drink wine and I think its tacky to drink at a shower since Mom can't, why would I want to pay? Would you charge?

Quoting cLanief:

As it says they're probably asking cuz of the wine. It's not like they're asking for a huge amount. Its fucking 5$ ffs! I'm a fucking cheapass but they're not asking for that much. Gah! You probably have 5$ in changesitting around your house.

You seem unaware of how to be a host.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 44 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

So you have to pay a cover charge to go give a gift to someone who may or may not really want you there, because she invited too many people anyway.  But hurry up and decide, because you might not get in!

Um. no.

asmoni
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Think I'm more surprised by the "can only take the first 125 to RSVP" hmmm...that's tacky! 

5.00 I could get beyond

Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Definitely tacky....I can remember being invited to a surprise birthday party for my boss. They had more money than God. Not only did we have to bring a dish but felt obliged to bring a gift. I was so broke then. We all got to see his huge house....so nice for him!
SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

yeah thats a new level of sad 

Kc0001
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM

HAHA I know where this is... Tacky yes

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM

LOL - you'd think this was Beyonce's baby shower or something.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MariannLws
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I don't see a problem here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN