Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So freaking TACKY! *ETA*

Posted by   + Show Post

I covered up all personal info, but does anyone ELSE see something wrong with charging people to come to a baby shower?

Let me also add, the women who hosted this shower live in THE most exclusive part of Savannah, The Landings. I was looking forward to the shower, until I saw the $5.00 charge. When I called tpo RSVP, I told them why I wasn't coming; that it's tacky to expect money to defray the cost of the shower and that the hostesses needed a refresher from Miss Manners about it.

*ETA* the shower was for the wife of our associate priest. I am by no means blaming her, but could NOT believe the audacity of the people hosting thw shower to even A.) invite more people than the venue could hold, and B.) to CHARGE people for coming.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (311-320):
stephiebugg
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Wow. I wouldn't pay to go to a party. It's a baby shower, not a night club. LOL
I can't believe it actually says space limited to 125 people.  LOL

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM
You dont see a problem with inviting more people than the.venue.can hold AND paying a 5 dollar cover
Ok.... Im seriously starting a cm charm school

Quoting MariannLws:

I don't see a problem here. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Lol. Wow!!
MariannLws
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM

No not at all. It's a way to make sure the right type of people attend darling. This is nothing new. 

Quoting Aslen:

You dont see a problem with inviting more people than the.venue.can hold AND paying a 5 dollar cover

Quoting MariannLws:

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM

OK sweetheart... I'll be sure to tell Emily Post and Miss Manners they're wrong.

The "right" type of people? Shows how trashy you must be, or hoe poorly you were raised, and are raising your children.

Quoting MariannLws:

No not at all. It's a way to make sure the right type of people attend darling. This is nothing new. 

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting MariannLws:

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM

That is tacky. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Wow...and they are charging to come...I would decline to go and I would decline to send a gift, that isn't just tacky its rude. You NEVER invite more people than you can accommodate and charging for a meal.... Wow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Quoting MariannLws:

OMG I about died laughing reading this. Lady if you invite people to YOUR OWN SHOWER that aren't the RIGHT kind of people for you then that makes you look like you are in it for the gifts. Which just makes you look trashy, not classy.

oceanus407
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I agree. If someone I ws close with asked would have line thing but i feel this situation is super tacky

Quoting brittany208:

yes, and setting a limit to only the first 125 people to come? lol. If it was someone I cared about, I would just pay the 5$ and go, but just an acquaintance, I wouldnt.

the invitations themselves are super cute though :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MariannLws
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I never said I did this. Now I have attended a few celebrations that asked for dontations or money for attending. I saw nothing wrong with it. Y'all are getting worked up over nothing. 

Thank you for your concern about the upbring of my children. That is so sweet of you. 

Quoting Aslen:

OK sweetheart... I'll be sure to tell Emily Post and Miss Manners they're wrong.

The "right" type of people? Shows how trashy you must be, or hoe poorly you were raised, and are raising your children.

Quoting MariannLws:

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting MariannLws:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN