Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So freaking TACKY! *ETA*

Posted by   + Show Post

I covered up all personal info, but does anyone ELSE see something wrong with charging people to come to a baby shower?

Let me also add, the women who hosted this shower live in THE most exclusive part of Savannah, The Landings. I was looking forward to the shower, until I saw the $5.00 charge. When I called tpo RSVP, I told them why I wasn't coming; that it's tacky to expect money to defray the cost of the shower and that the hostesses needed a refresher from Miss Manners about it.

*ETA* the shower was for the wife of our associate priest. I am by no means blaming her, but could NOT believe the audacity of the people hosting thw shower to even A.) invite more people than the venue could hold, and B.) to CHARGE people for coming.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (321-330):
MariannLws
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I never said I did this. You assume I did. It's a little known unspoken fact in some circles. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MariannLws:

No not at all. It's a way to make sure the right type of people attend darling. This is nothing new. 

OMG I about died laughing reading this. Lady if you invite people to YOUR OWN SHOWER that aren't the RIGHT kind of people for you then that makes you look like you are in it for the gifts. Which just makes you look trashy, not classy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Tacky. Very. Tacky.
Hartbrayka
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

i was invited to a shower like that once.  only thing, it was $35.00 to attend!!!!! I of course respectfully declined the invitation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

When I said you, its a general you, not you specifically. And obviously you are okay with this because you defended it serveral times in your posts that you wrote.

And its not okay to do this, its trashy. Period.

Quoting MariannLws:

I never said I did this. You assume I did. It's a little known unspoken fact in some circles. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MariannLws:

No not at all. It's a way to make sure the right type of people attend darling. This is nothing new. 

OMG I about died laughing reading this. Lady if you invite people to YOUR OWN SHOWER that aren't the RIGHT kind of people for you then that makes you look like you are in it for the gifts. Which just makes you look trashy, not classy.

ladybugrooke
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM

who serves wine at a baby shower? Its a BABY shower! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Here is my take. OP didn't mention in the beginning that the shower is for the associate pastor's wife at her church. This changes things, imo. It's fairly obvious that a woman or group of women from the church felt obligated...or maybe just thought it would be the right thing...to throw this woman a church-wide baby shower.

Granted, it doesn't seem to have been very well thought out. It should have been presented as more of a potluck type shower so the cost of the food wasn't an issue OR there should have been donation requests done as a love offering (what such things are called at my church) beforehand to cover costs. There should have also been a congregation wide discussion or notification about what was trying to be accomplished...which seems to be an acknowledgment of a church staff member's impending arrival of a child by the congregation. This is a centuries old practice. I bet the woman was having another more intimate shower thrown by a close friend or family member and that this one was the public acknowledgment that the members of the church felt obligated to have. Whoever got put in charge of the details...venue, food, invitations, etc. Obviously and rightfully so didn't feel like the cost should all fall on her shoulders. She just didn't have the grace or wherewithall to make the appropriate, mannerly arrangements for the circumstances.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Yes, that's tacky.

tastelikeyum
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Paula Dean must be catering too. That is just crazy.

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting BEXi:

Yup no.

And the people that hosted this live in THE most exclusive area of Savannah....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momeza0409
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM

I've never seen anything so tacky in all my life.  Who would even think of doing that?

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM
DeEn. Not DeAn. Lord lol, please dont come here and spell their name wrong... You would be tarred and feathered and run out of town!
Lady and sons isnt that expensive, catering-wise. I was thinking more.froo-froo, like susan mason

Quoting tastelikeyum:

Paula Dean must be catering too. That is just crazy.

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting BEXi:

Yup no.

And the people that hosted this live in THE most exclusive area of Savannah....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN