Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So freaking TACKY! *ETA*

Posted by   + Show Post

I covered up all personal info, but does anyone ELSE see something wrong with charging people to come to a baby shower?

Let me also add, the women who hosted this shower live in THE most exclusive part of Savannah, The Landings. I was looking forward to the shower, until I saw the $5.00 charge. When I called tpo RSVP, I told them why I wasn't coming; that it's tacky to expect money to defray the cost of the shower and that the hostesses needed a refresher from Miss Manners about it.

*ETA* the shower was for the wife of our associate priest. I am by no means blaming her, but could NOT believe the audacity of the people hosting thw shower to even A.) invite more people than the venue could hold, and B.) to CHARGE people for coming.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (331-340):
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Right?! Ettiquite doesnt change. EVER

Quoting Anonymous:

When I said you, its a general you, not you specifically. And obviously you are okay with this because you defended it serveral times in your posts that you wrote.

And its not okay to do this, its trashy. Period.

Quoting MariannLws:

I never said I did this. You assume I did. It's a little known unspoken fact in some circles. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MariannLws:

No not at all. It's a way to make sure the right type of people attend darling. This is nothing new. 

OMG I about died laughing reading this. Lady if you invite people to YOUR OWN SHOWER that aren't the RIGHT kind of people for you then that makes you look like you are in it for the gifts. Which just makes you look trashy, not classy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Wow, someone needs to go back and learn some manners.  Very, very tacky.

tastelikeyum
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Lol I knew I was spelling it wrong. I live in GA near Vidalia. I heard the restaurant wasn't all that good. I want to go try anyway.

Quoting Aslen:

DeEn. Not DeAn. Lord lol, please dont come here and spell their name wrong... You would be tarred and feathered and run out of town!

Lady and sons isnt that expensive, catering-wise. I was thinking more.froo-froo, like susan mason

Quoting tastelikeyum:

Paula Dean must be catering too. That is just crazy.

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting BEXi:

Yup no.

And the people that hosted this live in THE most exclusive area of Savannah....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I don't think it is that bad. I wouldn't do it, but I also wouldn't have said anything to the hostess about it, that is JUST as tacky (at least)

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I have a friend in Lyons! I want OUT of Savannah so damn bad.... I'm actually thinking of moving to Statesboro/Claxton in the next month or so. 

If you do go to Lady and Sons, they don't take reservations.... but they will for locals. It's OK, but for the money, you're better off going to Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House. The food is MUCH BETTER!

Quoting tastelikeyum:

Lol I knew I was spelling it wrong. I live in GA near Vidalia. I heard the restaurant wasn't all that good. I want to go try anyway.

Quoting Aslen:

DeEn. Not DeAn. Lord lol, please dont come here and spell their name wrong... You would be tarred and feathered and run out of town!

Lady and sons isnt that expensive, catering-wise. I was thinking more.froo-froo, like susan mason

Quoting tastelikeyum:

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting BEXi:

Yup no.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM

That's just it though: ettitquite doesn't change.

They needed someone to tell them why they were getting so many "no" responses.

I've also heard through the grapvine less than 20 people showed up, causing the hosts of the shower to be out more $$ than they anticipated.

Serves them right

Quoting LoriLou75:

I don't think it is that bad. I wouldn't do it, but I also wouldn't have said anything to the hostess about it, that is JUST as tacky (at least)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Tacky. And you don't have to go, isn't that nice. If you cannot afford the cost, don't throw the party. Period. Full stop. End of story.
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Right?! What is funniest to me is the women hosting the shower COULD afford to do it.... they're just cheap as hell

Quoting Anonymous:

Tacky. And you don't have to go, isn't that nice. If you cannot afford the cost, don't throw the party. Period. Full stop. End of story.

EarlGrayHot
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Totally tacky and no-NEVER OK.  Don't go.  What nerve.

tastelikeyum
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Lol any place is better than Reidsville. I would move anywhere to be out of here.

Quoting Aslen:

I have a friend in Lyons! I want OUT of Savannah so damn bad.... I'm actually thinking of moving to Statesboro/Claxton in the next month or so. 

If you do go to Lady and Sons, they don't take reservations.... but they will for locals. It's OK, but for the money, you're better off going to Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House. The food is MUCH BETTER!

Quoting tastelikeyum:

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting tastelikeyum:

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting BEXi:

Yup no.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured