Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Loosing our home, could 1 adult 2 kids live in a 1 bedroom apt?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 86 Replies

I was forced to leave my boyfriend whom is the father of our 3 month old baby and I have my 8 yr old from a previous relationship living with us too. I need to break my lease real soon because I won't be able to afford paying the rent much longer (it's a 2 bedroom). I just re opened my support case from my 8 yr old's dad which has been closed for 3 years since we were getting back together but we broke up a year ago and he hasn't see his son for that long as well. I contacted him and asked if he still wanted to be in his son's life and in return I needed help paying for our son's daycare expenses only since it;s my responsibility alone to pay for my 3 mth old's daycare. His answer was pretty much for me to pity him because his dad died last summer, his sister became a drug addict, none of these concern our son. So I didn't play soft I went back to court. Long story short because of my boyfriend having to leave, and with the cost of daycare being as much as my rent (my baby is on the waiting list for child care assistance which could take months til funds are available), I have to take my two children and move.

Oh and section 8 takes forever too, I applied before and we were number 987 on the list. So would private renters and apartment complexes have a problem with 1 adult and 2 kids living in a one bedroom? Both are boys so they will be sharing the bedroom and I will be sleeping on a blow up bed in the living room.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't really think it's any of their business how many kids you have. I'm sure you can find some place that would work.
beachbabies6
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Not sure , but good luck hope things get better

opal10161973
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Since the one is an infant, they may not object.  It really depends on the laws though.  If the law states that the baby is OK until 2yo, then they may still be able to and if the law states that as long as it is only one adult, it may also.  You need to look up the laws for your state or ask an apartment manager, they would know.  There are too many law variations to know for sure.

Rhodin
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

It depends on the place you move to.  We had to move from our one bedroom place 2 years ago because the lease speficially said we were only allowed 2 per bedroom unless we could figure out how to keep ODD from aging past a year old.  At our current place, we could be the Duggars as long as the kids we have here are ours.  It's a 2 bedroom and YDD sleeps in our room because she still vastly prefers to be nursed to sleep and that's something her sister just can't do for her.

Edit: Oh right.  Our first place was in an apartment complex and our current place is one half of a privately owned duplex.  What you need to do is ask them what the rules are.

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I don't think it is their business how many kids you have, so long as it doesn't get crazy and become filthy. Just do what you have to do hon. GL.

Deshonsmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Why did you have to leave your BF was it a bad relationship? I don't think it would be a problem for you guys to live in a one bedroom apt. for a little while, it might be cramped with all the stuff your boys will need.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I live in KY and when I was pregnant looking for an apartment for myself, DH and unborn baby, they wouldn't even show us a 1 bedroom. They told us it was 2 heartbeats per room. Every single place told us that, with the exception of one who said that children under a year do not count as a heartbeat. Easiest thing to do would be to ask around.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I lived in a bedroom type apartment with my 4 year old son and my 1 year old daughter. My son and I had lived that way since he was born and no one said anything. So I would say sure.

We don't live that way anymore I married dds dad and he even stayed there with us. We have moved since.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

It depends on the laws in the area you live as well as the rules for the apartment building. It's doable, but certain areas have zoning laws that only allow a certain amount of people in certain types of apartments and apartments can have rules of their own as well. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you seen Chinese homes?! Small places?! Lots of people in it!

I bet you can. Just make it temp until you can get a bigger place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)