Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Loosing our home, could 1 adult 2 kids live in a 1 bedroom apt?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was forced to leave my boyfriend whom is the father of our 3 month old baby and I have my 8 yr old from a previous relationship living with us too. I need to break my lease real soon because I won't be able to afford paying the rent much longer (it's a 2 bedroom). I just re opened my support case from my 8 yr old's dad which has been closed for 3 years since we were getting back together but we broke up a year ago and he hasn't see his son for that long as well. I contacted him and asked if he still wanted to be in his son's life and in return I needed help paying for our son's daycare expenses only since it;s my responsibility alone to pay for my 3 mth old's daycare. His answer was pretty much for me to pity him because his dad died last summer, his sister became a drug addict, none of these concern our son. So I didn't play soft I went back to court. Long story short because of my boyfriend having to leave, and with the cost of daycare being as much as my rent (my baby is on the waiting list for child care assistance which could take months til funds are available), I have to take my two children and move.

Oh and section 8 takes forever too, I applied before and we were number 987 on the list. So would private renters and apartment complexes have a problem with 1 adult and 2 kids living in a one bedroom? Both are boys so they will be sharing the bedroom and I will be sleeping on a blow up bed in the living room.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Replies (81-86):
meparty
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM

go to a friend or families house, always a way.

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM

You might have a tough time with some places.

But Im sure you will find some that wont.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM

My friend lives in a one bedroom with her her boyfriend their 18 month old, 4 year old, and their 6 year old.

wodntulk2kno1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Depends on the laws of your state. Usually the front room can be a sleeping area. Since they are both boys there is no problem with them sharing. Times are rough for a lot of people. I am sure you won't have an issue
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jsbuck
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Look up the laws for the area you are in.  When we lived in VA it was 2 people per bedroom, it didn't matter the ages.  We had to list all residents on the lease, even our child.

ans11950
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Try to find a private landlord, they probably wouldn't care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)