Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can 2 People File HoH for the SAME Address?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

I need help!! I did my taxes and I think I screwed up afterall.

I lived with my SO's Father majority of last year. I filed as HoH (after thinking about it, I realized I was wrong!!) and was wondering if I possibly am messing up my SO's father's tax return by doing this? I cant really find a clear answer about this.

Do I need to amend my return? Or just leave it? Will they let my SO's father file HoH too? Or will they block him from doing it because I already did?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
allabout11708
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM
IDK BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Call a tax place
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM

This seemingly simple question has a very complex answer. In order to answer the question, it's important to keep in mind the criteria to be eligible for head of household status:

• The taxpayer must be unmarried,
  • The taxpayer must be able to claim as a dependent a closely related person,
  • That closely related person must actually reside at the same residence as the taxpayer for more than half the year, and
  • The taxpayer must pay for more than half the cost of maintaining the residence.

When two (or more) taxpayers share the same address, the question sometimes arises whether the address itself constitutes one household, or whether each family living at that address constitutes its own separate household.

The Internal Revenue Service analyzes the situation based on all the facts and circumstances. The IRS's general thinking is outlined in memorandum from the Chief Counsel's office (SCA 1998-041, pdf 9 pages). In their advice, the IRS outlines their thinking over whether two persons sharing the same residence can each qualify as head of household.

Kennadismom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Nope only 1 person can file HOH in the home.
s.osborne
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I live with my parents and my dad and I both file HoH so it shouldn't be a problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Thanks. I also found you can do this if you dont share a bedroom/food/etc with the other person.

Im just worried he will be blocked from filing, but it sounds like they wont. If anything we may get audited? I hate taxes.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

This seemingly simple question has a very complex answer. In order to answer the question, it's important to keep in mind the criteria to be eligible for head of household status:

• The taxpayer must be unmarried,
  • The taxpayer must be able to claim as a dependent a closely related person,
  • That closely related person must actually reside at the same residence as the taxpayer for more than half the year, and
  • The taxpayer must pay for more than half the cost of maintaining the residence.

When two (or more) taxpayers share the same address, the question sometimes arises whether the address itself constitutes one household, or whether each family living at that address constitutes its own separate household.

The Internal Revenue Service analyzes the situation based on all the facts and circumstances. The IRS's general thinking is outlined in memorandum from the Chief Counsel's office (SCA 1998-041, pdf 9 pages). In their advice, the IRS outlines their thinking over whether two persons sharing the same residence can each qualify as head of household.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM
My old roommate and I used to do our taxes at the same place, same time and they always let us both file hoh.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Yes you can. You'll be fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)