Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Something I noticed about food in America

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 128 Replies
1 mom liked this
Is that the portion sizes over there are incredibly big. I was in NYC just a couple of months ago and went to a nice restaurant on the Upper East Side. It was me and a couple girlfriends of mine, mixed with Americans and other Europeans. When our food came, I was immediately shocked by the size of the serving. It was way too big and so I cut everything in about half, which my American friends thought was silly. I did not understand how they were able to eat the whole meal and then their whole dessert when I was full off of just half my meal and half my dessert.

Now I'm not bashing Americans, simply an observation, but you guys do have really big food portions (and this only applies to restaurants and fast food places, obviously).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Johariz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM
The portions are pretty huge. I never finish a meal when i go out. Too much food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
5 moms liked this

That's why America is fat...lol..they serve wayyyyy too much food at one time. I never eat my entire meal when I am out somewhere.

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Well... It's true. The portion sizes are ridiculously large. One reason why America is a fat country.
Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM
It's true. If you travel anywhere in Europe and beyond, the portions are half. DH parents (UK) were routinely disgusted at the size of the meals we'd get at restaurants and complained about the amount of waste. I imagine they also noticed America's alarming obesity problem too... Makes ya wonder :)

I always ask for lunch portion size whenever we eat during the dinner hour.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Portions are big. New Yorker walk a lot so it balances them out some. The rest of us... I'm 110lbs and I usually clean my plate. I don't get a lot of breaks at work so I eat as much as I can when I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Sometimes I can eat it all and sometimes I can't.  It depends on the restaurant, how hungry I am, whether or not I had eaten at all that day, etc.....

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I know and it just slowly happened over time. I remember when a McDonalds small was a large. Companies trying to up each other. I am trying to cut back but I am not going to lie, it's hard. 

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I know... Even when I order a salad they give me enough for a family of 5. Crazy!

Quoting Lyssa0587:

That's why America is fat...lol..they serve wayyyyy too much food at one time. I never eat my entire meal when I am out somewhere.

BEXi
by BEXi on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

They are.. I dont get it. Im a grazer, so eating a whole meal is just outrageous in itself.

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. A few years ago I went with my mom to Houston and we went to the Cheesecake Factory. We weren't that hungry so we decided to share a couple of "appetizers". Before we knew it we had a plate of like 36 potato skins and a mountain of nachos that his my mom from view. It was ridiculous.
I'm guessing it's all about consumerism and competition. If restaurants start giving more for the same price, people will go to where they get more for their money not realizing that they don't need that more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)