Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
A friend of mine went to our PCP with a scheduled appointment specifically for a flu shot for her 3 yr old daughter. Due to the fact that my friend is pregnant and had a very difficult time getting pregnant, she is taking every precaution she can to have a healthy pregnancy. When she got to the office and waited her turn with a scared 3 yr old she was then told they were out of the flu shot for "insurance " patients and only had the free ones for "Medicaid" patients! Of course she was livid when they tried to tell her that after waiting 45 mins her daughter would not be allowed to receive a "Medicaid " shot. After getting extremely upset (plus hormones) and telling them that her tax dollars pay for those "free" shots they finally gave in and vaccinated her daughter.

Do you think it is right for them to have separate supplies of vaccinations? And when one is depleted , deny someone because they don't/ do have insurance?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Replies (11-17):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I've heard of this. In our town, they're always out of the Medicaid vaccines. When you call to make the appointment, they always say, "we are currently out of the vaccines for Medicaid patients. Are you private insurance patients.?" They say that before they ever even begin the process of looking up your name to make the appt.
I have had them call me AFTER I've made an appt to tell me they are out of the privately insured vaccines, but would getting more in on such and such a date and did I want to reschedule. That just happened this year. I'd be pissed that they didn't call me beforehand. They had to know they were running low way before your friend made her way to the drs office.
Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

They did tihs also to my son I  offered to  go and pay for one for my son instead.   They  said he had ot have a special one cuz of his health isssues..  We  suppose to ocme back well  I and my son got realy really really sick from the Flu...  So now  this year we our  the first in lines now for the shot no matter the coverage...?

I do wonder myself....

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM

My son gets a different shot then becuase,? We got sick dealthy sick one year  when we got refused he said do to a latex allergy my doctor told me no?   The next year  we was called and was the first to recieve the vaccine  they had ot fix ours diferently....?   Why bother to give them at all?

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

the reason they are seperated is to do with medicaid funding and regulations..  The doctor's office has to order seperate vials and store then seperately..This is why my doctors office does not give flu shots for medicaid patients. Medicaid patients go to the health department for it'

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

They (many dr's and hosptials) have done this for ages.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM
It has to do with funding.

My kids' pediatrician gave them a Medicaid flu shot one year because it was so important for them to get one and they were out of private insurance ones. They were preemies so had compromised immune systems. She could have gotten in a lot of trouble for that. And that's why I'm going anon.
Blondemommy64
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I understand there are funding reason and what not but with a high risk pregnancy in the household it shouldn't have even been a question and the fact that they booked her appointment and didn't tell her beforehand that they had run out...It should had been a top priority to do the best they could without causing the mother stress for their mistake. Just my opinion
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN