Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Going anon for this because I am about to offend the hell out of ASD parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you know that people with non-asd kids don't automatically hate your children?
Do
Do you understand that not every kid with a behavior issue is autistic? So stop trying to diagnose every brat with autism.

Do you know that when we ask questions about your kids it is not to bash you or your kids?

Why can't you fathom that people without ASD kids do try to understand you and don't hate your kids?

Why is it impossible for you to understand that we don't blame you for your child having ASD but if you refuse to discipline them because they are autistic then you will get looks. And its not beccause we hate your kid but because seeing a kid throw a tantrum in Walmart is bizarre to us

And if someone doesn't understand and is trying to understand, calling them ignorant bitches will completely turn them off to you and your child. So when people are looking to learn, teach them.

Why do you strive for equality for your kids by pushing them into regular ed classes but don't care about the NT kids. How are they equal if they get special treatment and take away from the NT kids?

This isn't a bash post. I am just super curious as to why ASD parents think this way
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Replies (111-120):
white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Austism Spectrum disorder like aspergs <sp> disorder ?

AwesomeElegance
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I have seen many of them behave that way. I am not the OP and I don't understand her resoning behind it but I would assume she has too. Especially here. I have only witnessed 2 posts about autism since joining yesterday and I have to say. The moms of  autistic kids are vicious (not all of them. this post has actually restored some faith in them) . One actually told another person that they should die because they used the r-word to describe a kid that wasn't even autistic because they felt it insulted their autistic kid. WTF is that all about? 

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

Why do you assume this about all of them?

scperdomo
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM
She did say "sometimes". Clearly you dont fall into that category.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right because I label him and want a 4 yr old who can't talk and who rocks back and fourth while chewing his fingers raw . Yep you caught me . This is the ignorance that pisses me off .

Quoting Susanmomof:

Some times they would rather label them instead of accepting their kids are being a brat

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I never take anything that is said here to heart or believe that is the way the REAL world acts. This group is a drama group and here merely for entertainment and not for support. Every few posts though, you do get somebody with a little common sense asking real questions because they really want to know and not to stir up a hornets nest. You just have to learn which posts and responses to take seriously, which ones to sit back and giggle and which ones just to click that back arrow and never go back. 

Quoting AwesomeElegance:

I have seen many of them behave that way. I am not the OP and I don't understand her resoning behind it but I would assume she has too. Especially here. I have only witnessed 2 posts about autism since joining yesterday and I have to say. The moms of  autistic kids are vicious (not all of them. this post has actually restored some faith in them) . One actually told another person that they should die because they used the r-word to describe a kid that wasn't even autistic because they felt it insulted their autistic kid. WTF is that all about? 

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

jeda1429
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quoting Judesmom333:

please update me on what ASD is ...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I always thought that children with Autism "looked" different than regular kids and that was a big way to know right away that the child was autistic and you didn't have to ask anyone... 
But, now adays I hear mothers and fathers say their child is autistic but the child looks normal and learns pretty much on the same level but the child is just real bad and doesn't listen at all 

So maybe there is more than 1 type of autism .... It is so hard to keep up these days. I am in my early 30's so when I was growing up we had ADD kids who were on ritalin and than there was autistic children.. now there seems to be less ADD and more autistic 

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Seriously!! Because an autism diagnosis was EXACTLY what I wanted for my child. I prayed for it, didn't ya know?

Quoting Sharbear42371:

Really?  wow!  I dont know anyone who does that.

Quoting Susanmomof:

Some times they would rather label them instead of accepting their kids are being a brat

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

good for you for standing your ground

Quoting Anonymous:

I know a few asd moms who are awesome and their seem to be a few of them on this site that are awesome as well. But some of them...holy crap.

At a birthday party, is it really necessary to bore everyone to death of sensory issues and how your child won't eat red foods or soft foods or foods that touch? He's eating pizza just fine right now and no one would have noticed anything different about him if you hadn't just brought it up and then spent the rest of the party dominating the conversation alllll about autism.

We were at the movies and there was a line for the bathroom. My dd had to go really bad. A mom comes up to me and says, "Can we cut in front of you...my son is autistic and doesn't do lines." Nope, sorry. I'm looking out for MY child and eventually your cute little boy with autism is going to be a full grown man with autism and will have to wait in line like everyone else.

At gymnastics class with my dd. They are told to pick out their mats. They all run over there and dd gets the blue one first. Asd mom says, "Oh can my son have the blue one? He's autistic" Once again, nope sorry. Blue is my dd's favorite color and she got there first. Maybe next week. Don't ask for your child to be treated the same as everyone else, then in the next breath turn around and ask for special treatment.

But then there was another mom in the same class who let everyone know at the beginning, hey my son has autism and if he freaks out I'm sorry. We're working on it. And she was probably the best parent there. Constantly redirecting him and telling him, "No we wait our turn", "No, we're quiet when the teacher talks."

So it goes both ways. Just like with any other parent.

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM
My DS is the same way. We have to use deep pressure massages to help him get to sleep at night.

Quoting Anonymous:

Autistix spectrum disorder one and two wtf. You want an answer how about how even if we try to explain it people still get all huffy. What do you want for us to hang a.sign around their neck that says " please excuse me for having fits im autistic"? How hard it is to disipline them even in public. My dd has to be squeezed to calm her down, to you it looks like im hugging her but im not. Its a pressure thing that allows her to ground herself to her surrounding. Maybe thats why...........
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AwesomeElegance
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I don't think this is a support group. When my friend introduced me she told me it was filled with hateful bitches. I have met some people like that in real life.  They think the world should bow down to their autistic kid and then when it doesn't they start name calling and accusing us of hate.  No, I will not move my car because you wanted that parking space and your kid is autistic.  I had a lady kick my truck because I parked too close to the S/N trailer at a school and she didn't want her autistic kid to walk 2 extra feet to the bus.  Really? The bus was almost exactly where it always is.  Its doors may not have been lined up with the trailer doors but why kick my car because of it. If she had asked nicely I would have moved. But she, and her little clique were assholes so I stayed put and was an asshole with them until my godchildren came out.  Then I drove up. Picked them up and drove away.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

I never take anything that is said here to heart or believe that is the way the REAL world acts. This group is a drama group and here merely for entertainment and not for support. Every few posts though, you do get somebody with a little common sense asking real questions because they really want to know and not to stir up a hornets nest. You just have to learn which posts and responses to take seriously, which ones to sit back and giggle and which ones just to click that back arrow and never go back. 

Quoting AwesomeElegance:

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)