Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I report her?????????--EDIT to add why it's a very bad thing.

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM
  • 137 Replies
1 mom liked this

As most of you are already familiar that I'm in the hospital for an infection and abscess on my face, the abscess' name is Bob, btw.

I've had to sit on this for a day to determine what I ned to do but I'm still on edge on what to do.

I used to be a Phlebotomist at this very hospital before I went to the ER to be a tech, I still know some of the Phlebotomists here....the CEO is also a family friend of ours and I still enter the ER to bring in patients so I'm VERY familiar with this hospital and policies, I'm also VERY familiar with the medical aspects and what should and shouldn't happen so it would take something pretty big for me to report someone.

So, here's what happened.

Yesterday morning, I was still half asleep when the Phlebotomist came in to do the first draw. I'm not the easiest of sticks, I'll give them that. I don't mention my affiliation with the hospital or my positions that I've worked here because it tends to make people nervous and I want to see how they naturally work (not that I judge, it's just interesting to watch).

Well, she stuck in a spot (MOST) people don't get, she didn't get it. For some reason, too she used a straight needle, not a vaccutainer which is kind of odd considering the location she was going.

She stuck me, missed and started to restick me with the SAME needle that she just missed with.

Since I was half asleep, I thought I dreamt it or just was being too critical.

She came back a few hours later and I was awake then. She tried and missed again in my hand. I didn't think anything of it, again, I'm a hard stick so I don't complain when someone misses. She started to use the same needle again but then I HAD to bring up that I used to work here as a Phlebotomist. She acted like she was just cleaning up and got a new needle.

The fact that, that was her second time in a row so it was normal practice for her which really makes me nervous for other patients. That is a HUGE deal....like HUGE!

It's so unclean and unsanitary and very, very much against regulations.

So what would you do????????

EDIT

It's a major OSHA violation and also a violation of SOP's.

The needle goes through all of the layers of skin. The skin harbors all types of bacteria and germs on it, naturally and then of course, all of the unnatural bacteria and germs that are on it from everyday living.

If someone takes a needle out and resticks you, they have all of the previous bacteria, germs and now fluids from inside of your body, now REexposed to the elements and sticks you again with the same crap already on a needle that is supposed to be sterile.......say they get it into your vein that time.......now, not only do you have the initial crap on the needle but now you have DOUBLE the germs, bacteria, etc and now you have it inserted into your blood........you can get VERY sick if some of those bacteria and germs enter your circulation.

For example:

If someone has an autoimmune disorder...they already have a weak immune system, now they just had staph enter their body that lives on their skin...it could kill them.

Another example:

I'm in the hospital for an infection on my face. I'm on wicked amount of antibiotics. This chick doesn't know if I'm septic, she doesn't know if the infection has spread to any other part of my body, she doesn't know if the spot she just stuck is harboring some of my infection.

She just stuck a needle through that possible infection, ontop of through the other germs, bacteria and into my body which now has other fluids on the needle. NOW the stuck that SAME needle that is now FILLED with bacteria, germs, etc......and entered it into my blood stream.

Needles that we stick with are supposed to be 100% Sterile. It is no longer sterile when it comes out of the package and then it becomes biohazardous material the minute it enters the body.

VERY DANGEROUS!

PLEASE DO NOT LET ANYONE DO THIS TO YOU, EVEN NURSES!!! IV'S ARE THE EXACT SAME PRICIPLE........IN FACT WORSE BECAUSE OFTEN THEY ARE USING A BIGGER NEEDLE THAT CAN HARBOR THE BACTERIA AND GERMS INSIDE OF THE HOLLOW PORTION OF THE NEEDLE!

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by LoKitty on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
4 moms liked this

report her... it needs to be addressed before she makes a patient sick

mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I'd report it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh geez, please report her! Sticking with an unsantitary needle...shit like that can kill my husband. I'm sorry for your troubles, Mommma! Feel better soon!

NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Considering that could really hurt someone, I would report her. It's not like she used a snoopy band-aid instead of cinderella.

banana-bear
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Report.
LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

report her

Binkys_Buttons
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this
We think I got a staph infection this way. Report her.
mojogirl
by Gunnery Sgt Hartman on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

report her... she shouldn't have the job she has if she can't follow VERY SIMPLE protocol that can save people from pretty serious infections

BeAmour
by Tonya on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

That's what I'm sayin'.

She just stuck a patient twice with the same needle who has an INFECTION! She doesn't know if I'm septic, she doesn't know if my infection is anywhere else on my body....the fact that she stuck through the layers of skin, into my body, through all the germs and bacteria that live on the skin naturally, on top of the stuff I've already picked up being in the hospital, and then RE-entered that into my blood really makes me mad.

Thankfully, I KNOW the reasons behind why it's not safe to do that because I was the head Phleb. here and I took extra classes, and I taught Phlebotomy here on my days off........I know the field inside and out.......It's so dangerous!

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Considering that could really hurt someone, I would report her. It's not like she used a snoopy band-aid instead of cinderella.

raye-chan
by Raye on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my!

That actually makes me think because whenever I have to go to any local hospitals around our area, there's a couple people that do the same thing.

I'd report her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)