Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Since today seems to be race day - Your Black History Month PSA

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 161 Replies
49 moms liked this

Please note this is not meant to offend anyone. I have done my best to keep this light hearted and to get a point across. If this post bothers you feel free to exit it.

After quite a few years as a cafemom member I have noticed that around this time of year there is an influx of post concerning the black community. So I thought to say all you ladies the trouble I would cover the topics I have seen posted repeatedly.

1.        "There is no reason to have a Black History Month."   

Actually there is no reason not to have a Black History Month, many minorities have a month dedicated to the celebration of their accomplishments as a whole and they all deserve to have their month. What I think many ladies take issue with is how Black History Month is celebrated in their child's school, their community, county, city or state. Please take this up with the appropriate officials. However, and I think I can speak for most black people on this, we have nothing to do with how Black History Month is celebrated where you live.  I personally was just born when Black History Month was established to I had nothing to do with that legislation

2.       "Black people have their own colleges and that is racist"

Ok what you all are referring to are HISTORICALLY Black Colleges and Universities. The key word here is HISTORICALLY, ladies. These schools were established in time when black people were not welcome in HISTORICALLY White Colleges and Universities. Right now, in 2013, ANYONE that has the grades and the money can attend these colleges. It is illegal for them to deny anyone based on race. In fact a lot of them are looking for non-Black students. In 2008 the valedictorian for Morehouse college was a white male. However, these schools are proud of their history, just like Harvard and Yale are and they should not have to stop referring to themselves as "Historically Black" simply because it makes some uncomfortable.The real question that needs to be asked is why aren't high school counselors making non-black students aware of this option? 

On a side note the UNCF is often brought up....all minorities have scholarship funds. Most scholarships are for specific groups. I don't know why everyone gets offended by this.

3.       "BET is racist cause it is only for black people"

I am not sure what is wrong with some of y'alls TV but I was under the impression that anyone could watch BET (or any of the other stations that cater to the black community) Now these channels cater to the black community, just like the LOGO channel caters to the homosexual community, and CMT caters to lovers of country music. The fact is that the major stations don't carry most of the shows on these channels because they will not pull the ratings those big stations want.  I promise we are not over on BET talking bad about white people.  If they put Unsung on NBC I would watch it...but they won't so I watch it on BET.

Now this is just going to be a quick review of the questions:

1.       Yes some of us use chemicals to straighten our hair, some don't.

2.       Yes some of us wear weave, some don't. For most of us it has nothing to do with wanting to be white. I mean y'all don't tan because you want to be black right?

3.       The average black woman doesn't care who the average black man dates as long as it isn't her man. (Of course there are those that take issue with interracial dating but hey so do some white people)

4.       Yes some black women age very well, no there is no ancient African secret. Some of us just have good genes and the color of our skin does help to some degree

5.       I have no idea if all black men have large penises....I have not sleep with them all and make no plans on finding out. Any woman that gives you a definitive answer either way is a ho

6.       Of course black people can be racists.....stop asking this silly question

7.       Yes some black people name their children ridiculous names....the rest of us are just as confused as you are  

8.       Not all black women are angry...everyone has a bad day. But if you insist that every black woman you meet is angry...well what is the common denominator in that equation.

9.       "We" prefer to be called by our names whenever possible. When you don't know our name Sir or Ma'am will do (heck I will answer to young lady) however if you absolutely have to address us or refer to us by our race Black of African American will do. I cannot tell you which on is the "right" term cause it is an individual preference. I can tell you that there are a number a racial slurs that you can't call us. As far as the term "colored" goes...not everyone is offended by this but if you call me colored I am going to assume you have racist tendencies and limit the time we spend together.

10.   Yes some black people can swim

11.   No, most black people don't wash their hair every day. Our hair is normally naturally dry and washing it every day is very damaging.

12.   Not all black people feel like white people owe them something  

13.   No, we will not forget about slavery and the civil rights movement and y'all shouldn't either....it is an important part of history...that doesn't mean we will dwell on it

14.   Yes, some black people use the "N"- word. No, that does not make it ok. Please don't think the "well y'all say it" argument is going to save you from a verbally and or physical ass whoppin' if you choose to add this word to your vocabulary  

15.   Yes, black stay at home moms exist. No we are not all on some form of PA.

16.   Not all black people are lazy and expect the government or someone else to take care of them....that is a personality flaw and lack of work ethic and has nothing to do with race

17.   Not all black men are "thugs", rappers or drug dealers....please do not base your opinion of an entire race on rap videos or The First 48. We do acknowledge the fact that there are those that fit into this category but there are many that don't.

18.   Not every black person is "ghetto", just like every person that lives in a trailer park is not "trash" and not every white person in the south racist.  

19.   We cannot all dance, or eat watermelon and fried chicken. Race does not determine any of those things.  

20.   There are white people on public assistance just like there are black people. Some abuse it some don't, again this is a personality flaw and lack of work ethic and has nothing to do with race.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

ttriddick
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Love it!
Wifeyy2Lette
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Love it :)
Deezeekay
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Say THAT!!!! I for one am so sick of White People asking me, "Are you African American or Black?" DAMMIT!!! I'm HUMAN! If you wanna ask me something, just ask me my damn name!!! Sick of that foolishness! Thank you for the PSA!

Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

clapping

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

thank you

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Thank you!!!!!
Piskie
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Awesome. I'm English, so I don't get a lot of the racism that's so overt in America.. it's quite shocking.
ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM
3 moms liked this
I am American and I don't get it.....

Quoting Piskie:

Awesome. I'm English, so I don't get a lot of the racism that's so overt in America.. it's quite shocking.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)