Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Questions about infant daycare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
I only have two semesters left until I'm finished with school so I'll be putting my ds in daycare while I go. He'll be about four months old.

If all goes according to plan, he will still be exclusively breastfed at that point. Does anyone know if they allow you to bring your pumped milk? Looking around I saw a few that said parents were welcome to being their own formula but it said nothing about breast milk.

Diapers. Are diapers included in the cost or are parents expected to provide them? If parents have to supply them, have you ever heard of a daycare that allows cloth diapers? Of course I would also supply a means of containing the dirty ones.

Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM
My daycare does allow you bring pumped milk. They store it in a fridge. But the same rule applies, it must be tossed after being put in a bottle for baby if they haven't esteem in a certain amount of time. I think the parents provide the diapers, but I don't know if they allow cloth.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Daycares unless private can not accept cloth diapers it is a sanitary issue, you will have to use disposables for the time he is in daycare. Also you need to supply diapers.  Breastmilk is fine as long as in marked bottles. 

Saille717
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM

As long as your baby's bottles are clearly labelled you should be able to provide breast milk.  I doubt that the day care provides diapers, or anything else for that matter other than supervision.  

Whether or not they'll deal with cloth diapers is something you'll have to ask them.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Thank you. Kind of weird that formula would be included in the price of daycare but not diapers. Oh well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM
My daycare allowed pumped milk but not cloth diapers.
Misery_Stitches
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Depends on the centre so it's bestvto ask if they have rules or policies about either of them.

My centre allows pumped breastmilk or mum to come in and bf baby. Parents also supply own diapers so cloth would be acceptable as long as they also provide a good quality securable wet bag to store dirty ones into. Must be secure just incase the worst happens and a child somehow gets to it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Yes they will take pumped milk. Cloth diapers only if you can prove your child can't have disposables. Yes you have to provide it all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM
They have to if a child is allergic to disposable.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Daycares unless private can not accept cloth diapers it is a sanitary issue, you will have to use disposables for the time he is in daycare. Also you need to supply diapers.  Breastmilk is fine as long as in marked bottles. 

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Daycare makes you provide all formula, bm, and diapers. Just mark your bottles well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ferne3
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM

So you probably figured this out, but it depends on the daycare, you have to ask as part of the interviewing process - you should go and interview a couple.  We have been to three - first was AWESOME - they suppliied diapers, you suppliled formula or breastmilk and as DD got older they would have provided food.  It is true as a sanitary issue they have to throw out formula of milk that wasn't eaten in a certain period of time, so make sure you label VERY well and bring in bottles that are just a little more full than an average feeding.  The second we had to supply diapers, milk and all food (we had to change because we moved cross country.  we didn't like the second, so we are now at the third.  Again we have to provide diapers and breastmilk/formula but now DD is older they provide all food.  It just depends on the daycare.  As far as diapers - that also depends on the center.  The first provided - they felt it made changes go faster if they didn't have to fiddle with different brands, they refused to deal with cloth diapers.  The second we had to provide and they also refused to deal with cloth diaper, citing sanitary reasons.  This third allows cloth diapers, but they obviously hate them.  They are more difficult to deal with - extra steps and all.   Make sure that whatever daycare you go to you have visited, they have similar philosophies that you do, ratios of children to care providers, understand when kids must go home for illness - as much to know when you will be expected to pick up your child as much to understand how long they will allow other sick kids to hang out around yours.  And do know, there will be A LOT of sick days the first few monhs.  It sucks but at least when it is time for 'real school'  you child will be immune to most illnesses.  Good luck,  don't beat yourself up.  We found a lot of benefits of daycare with our DD.  She is well socialized, a great sharer, doesn't expect 1:1 attention all the time.  Once we got her in daycare (at about 3 months) she sped through all the milestones, copying the other kids in her class - early crawler, early walker, etc.  Still loves her momma and daddy the mostest and now there is a newborn in the house, since she was around them in daycare, knows how to be gentle and isn't bothered by the crying.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)