Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

your favorite budget meals to make at home!!

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 16 Replies
I want to start eating different food and healthy ones. Im so tired of the same foods. So please everyone post your favorite meals to make your family on a budget. We really don't have a budget but i love to bargain shop and stretch my dollars ! :)) we're going food shopping in an hr and a half when dh is out of work and i want to fill my brand new fridge! ! :)) !

Feel free to post recipes :))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM

We love rice and beans.   I like canned already flavored bean on white rice. My husband prefers to cook dry bean up in a pot with savory spices and rice.  Both are very yummy and cheap.  I also make veggie chili with beans, veggies(carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, peppers, tomatoes) and no meat. 

rockabillybetty
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Whats in the veggie chilli? Like the spices

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

We love rice and beans.   I like canned already flavored bean on white rice. My husband prefers to cook dry bean up in a pot with savory spices and rice.  Both are very yummy and cheap.  I also make veggie chili with beans, veggies(carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, peppers, tomatoes) and no meat. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenieceMojica
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Bump I would love ideas too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I put in canned chopped garlic(or fresh if I have it), chili powder and pepper. sometimes a little salt but the chili powder has lots of salt.  

Quoting rockabillybetty:

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

Annette(40)Dan(hubby) Rosalynd(7/06)Jeremy(3/08) Isaac(3/10)

rockabillybetty
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Sweet ty veggie chilli on my list!! :))

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

I put in canned chopped garlic(or fresh if I have it), chili powder and pepper. sometimes a little salt but the chili powder has lots of salt.  

Quoting rockabillybetty:

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockabillybetty
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Bump this :))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
There is a page on Facebook called $5-10 dollar meals-cheap eats. I have found several healthy and yummy dishes there! Good luck.
RissyLee
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Rice and beans. I buy dry beans and cook them in various spices, depending on what I want.
Veggie curry (onions, bell peppers, celery, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and sometimes tofu) over rice
Spaghetti (I make my own spaghetti sauce in my crockpot, so I can make a lot for very cheap and freeze half of it)
Veggie stir fry with rice or rice noodles
Steamed veggies over cous cous or quinoa with some kind of sauce
Sushi and veggie lo mein noodles
Pretty much anything I cook. I buy the dry goods (beans, rice, noodles, etc) in bulk, which saves money. I buy canned goods (like the tomato sauce for spaghetti) when they're on sale. I buy fresh veggies at Aldi's where they are really cheap or at the farmers market. I always make a menu and buy only the food that I need to make the meals, with a few additional snacks like granola bars, Greek yogurt, and fresh fruit. Making a menu helps me make sure I always have a plan for dinner and don't resort to grabbing processed foods (which are expensive and unhealthy), and I also save money on groceries because I don't just buy random junk and expect to be able to throw together a meal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jubileee
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Do you have Pinterest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Oh and a couple casseroles. I make one with cooked spaghetti squash on the bottom covered in sautéed peppers, onions, yellow squash, herbs, and garlic that I mix with tomato sauce and a dash of red wine. I sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over it and bake for a bit. I also make a Mexican type one. Spanish rice on the bottom, sautéed onions, peppers, jalepenos, and corn mixed with a can or two of Rotel and beans over it, a little cheddar cheese on top and baked for a bit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)