Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My gender is not a disability!

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just went outside with my children, while my husband is enjoying his sunday afternoon playing a video game.  He came out for a little while, but he has RAD and the cold gets to him and I do not want hiim getting bronchitis AGAIN.  So, while shoveling my driveway, a neighbor comes over and says "why isn't your husband doing that?"  I said "because I can and I am enjoying the excercise."  He gave me a smile and then shook his finger at me.

Why does my gender make me incapable of shoveling my driveway?  My driveway that had a layer of fluffy white powdery snow.  Why is shoveling something I shouldn't be doing?  Would it be bad for me?  I hate sexism.  It angers me to no end.

And ... If I would not excuse someone who used my gender as a reason to keep me from doing something I want, I can not allow myself to use my gender as an excuse to not do the things I may not want to do. I am a woman and I am capable!

Sorry, vent over, this just really bothered me today.

Does anyone else do things around the house that are traditionally male or have a husband who does things that are traditionally female?  Is it really just me?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM
5 moms liked this
Eh. I like the fact that i'm not responsible for yard chores. Why take it as your gender being a disability? Your neighbor might just be old fashioned. No reason to get up in arms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I helped shovel the sidewalk at my old job last winter and then went home to shovel the driveway with my mil and sil.
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Id like to see a man do anything around a house lol
Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I love to mow the yard and my stepdad always asks me why I am doing it instead of my husband.

AmyL3469
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I used to help my husband shovel and do anything else. Now, I've gotten used to being spoiled when I was pregnant and don't help do those things as often. He needs the extra exercise anyway.

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Eh. I like the fact that i'm not responsible for yard chores. Why take it as your gender being a disability? Your neighbor might just be old fashioned. No reason to get up in arms.

The "why isn't your husband doing that?" and the finger wag like I was doing something wrong is why I took it as him considering me incapable. 

If that works in his home, more power to them, but to act like either I or my husband is doing something wrong by allowing me to do "men's work" is too much. 

Plus his wife is a bitch who talks behind my back about my husband being a horrible husband and father because he doesn't spend much time outside with the kids and "makes" me do men's work.  That might be why I am up in arms.

BEXi
by BEXi on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Girl who are you telling!!!

My SO was a SAHD for three years. Do you know how many times I heard "why doesnt HE work?" Seriously? I highly doubt they ask that when it comes to SAHMs.

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

BEXi
by BEXi on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Mine will after I nag him to death :P

Quoting angevil53:

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Ha yes. I just want it done.

Quoting BEXi:

Mine will after I nag him to death :P

Quoting angevil53:

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM
That makes a little more sense then. But the interaction (as you described it) sounded innocent enough. If your division of labor works for you then why would it matter what some judgmental neighbors think?

Quoting mommaponch:

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

The "why isn't your husband doing that?" and the finger wag like I was doing something wrong is why I took it as him considering me incapable. 

If that works in his home, more power to them, but to act like either I or my husband is doing something wrong by allowing me to do "men's work" is too much. 

Plus his wife is a bitch who talks behind my back about my husband being a horrible husband and father because he doesn't spend much time outside with the kids and "makes" me do men's work.  That might be why I am up in arms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)