Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My gender is not a disability!

Posted by   + Show Post

I just went outside with my children, while my husband is enjoying his sunday afternoon playing a video game.  He came out for a little while, but he has RAD and the cold gets to him and I do not want hiim getting bronchitis AGAIN.  So, while shoveling my driveway, a neighbor comes over and says "why isn't your husband doing that?"  I said "because I can and I am enjoying the excercise."  He gave me a smile and then shook his finger at me.

Why does my gender make me incapable of shoveling my driveway?  My driveway that had a layer of fluffy white powdery snow.  Why is shoveling something I shouldn't be doing?  Would it be bad for me?  I hate sexism.  It angers me to no end.

And ... If I would not excuse someone who used my gender as a reason to keep me from doing something I want, I can not allow myself to use my gender as an excuse to not do the things I may not want to do. I am a woman and I am capable!

Sorry, vent over, this just really bothered me today.

Does anyone else do things around the house that are traditionally male or have a husband who does things that are traditionally female?  Is it really just me?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Oh be quiet!
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Eh, I do all the shoveling here because my husband is at work before the sun comes up and is home after dark. I also do most of the lawn mowing and yard work.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
You'd be surprised. My husband got crazy amounts of flak from coworkers about me being a SAHM when we lived in CA. But I know what you mean. Anytime you go against the norm it seems to make certain people uncomfortable. I figure people ought to do what works for them and not fret about what works for others.

Quoting BEXi:

Girl who are you telling!!!

My SO was a SAHD for three years. Do you know how many times I heard "why doesnt HE work?" Seriously? I highly doubt they ask that when it comes to SAHMs.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
My dh is really stuck on the gender roles thing. Drives me crazy.

Of course I laugh secretly because I'm better at most household repairs than he is. He grew up without a dad. I grew up learning everything from both my parents.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

...I'm an exterminator and on a daily basis I heard multiple sexist comments for a long time until they got used to me after 4-6 vists to their house. "You spray for bugs...but you have ovaries!!!"...ummmm....??? 

Pnukey
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

DH does the man chores around the house. 

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting BEXi:

Girl who are you telling!!!

My SO was a SAHD for three years. Do you know how many times I heard "why doesnt HE work?" Seriously? I highly doubt they ask that when it comes to SAHMs.

When he was going to school full time, I was the only breadwinner.  We made the decision that he wouldn't work so he could focus on school.  He and I were constantly asked why he didn't work.  I have now been a stay at home mom for almost three years and no one EVER asks why I don't work.  And I am not even going to school!

StevieMarie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I hate that! I used to work in the meat department at a local grocery store. People always asked me what I was doing working meat. Apparently only men are capable of lifting giant clods of meat, cutting them, handling the bloody mess and wrapping it up. Also, the locals bring their wild game catches in and we would break them down into the cuts people wanted, I had an older woman tell me it was "unlady like" to be tearing animals apart.

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I do not take out the trash or wash my truck....I am perfectly capable of doing both of those things, but I don't because I feel like the man should do them...and if I don't have a man, my dad washes my truck and my son takes out the trash....I never even thought about it.

SillySally83
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I used to be a driveway sealer and paver and a roofing hand :) I love "man" work... and I did it without half as much bitching as the big strong men I worked with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN