Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My gender is not a disability!

Posted by   + Show Post

I just went outside with my children, while my husband is enjoying his sunday afternoon playing a video game.  He came out for a little while, but he has RAD and the cold gets to him and I do not want hiim getting bronchitis AGAIN.  So, while shoveling my driveway, a neighbor comes over and says "why isn't your husband doing that?"  I said "because I can and I am enjoying the excercise."  He gave me a smile and then shook his finger at me.

Why does my gender make me incapable of shoveling my driveway?  My driveway that had a layer of fluffy white powdery snow.  Why is shoveling something I shouldn't be doing?  Would it be bad for me?  I hate sexism.  It angers me to no end.

And ... If I would not excuse someone who used my gender as a reason to keep me from doing something I want, I can not allow myself to use my gender as an excuse to not do the things I may not want to do. I am a woman and I am capable!

Sorry, vent over, this just really bothered me today.

Does anyone else do things around the house that are traditionally male or have a husband who does things that are traditionally female?  Is it really just me?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
coala
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Mine does.  He came programmed to cook, clean, and iron....thanks to his wonderful mother.  She wasn't going to send him into the world not being able to take care of himself.  Does he do this stuff w/o me asking...most of the time NO, but he does know how to do it.

Quoting angevil53:

Id like to see a man do anything around a house lol

angevil53
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Oh my dh can do it...with a lot bitching and moaning and whining and crying...

Quoting coala:

Mine does.  He came programmed to cook, clean, and iron....thanks to his wonderful mother.  She wasn't going to send him into the world not being able to take care of himself.  Does he do this stuff w/o me asking...most of the time NO, but he does know how to do it.

Quoting angevil53:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shermy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I think we have pretty traditional roles in the household. I mean, I could do them if need be, but generally my husband tends to more "male" chores. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
If you haven't, you've never seen a man.

Quoting angevil53:

angevil53
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Touche!

Quoting Anonymous:

If you haven't, you've never seen a man.

Quoting angevil53:

Oostera
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Meh. I told my DH that yard work was his job, with the exception of a garden that he didn't want, lol. I don't look at it as sexism. It's not like he said, "But that's mans work because women are so feeble and weak." Maybe he just meant to imply that husbands USUALLY are the ones that do yard work.

mojogirl
by RoseannRoseannadanna on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I'm with you girl!  I love to cook, moreover I LOVE to cook on the grill!  Can't tell you how many times I've heard, "shouldn't your husband be doing that?"

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

It pisses me off when people say things like that.  I'm old enough (56) to remember when women had fewer rights than we do now, a lot fewer.

I take care of all the cars here.  I'm better at it, and I have the time for it.  When I take a car in (even my husbands) for, say, tires - do NOT talk down to me like I don't understand.  I probably understand better than YOU, little pimply faced 20 year old!

Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I like that too. My landscapers come in and it's all done in a day.

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Eh. I like the fact that i'm not responsible for yard chores. Why take it as your gender being a disability? Your neighbor might just be old fashioned. No reason to get up in arms.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I get that response from mom friends when I mow the lawn
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN