Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My gender is not a disability!

Posted by   + Show Post

I just went outside with my children, while my husband is enjoying his sunday afternoon playing a video game.  He came out for a little while, but he has RAD and the cold gets to him and I do not want hiim getting bronchitis AGAIN.  So, while shoveling my driveway, a neighbor comes over and says "why isn't your husband doing that?"  I said "because I can and I am enjoying the excercise."  He gave me a smile and then shook his finger at me.

Why does my gender make me incapable of shoveling my driveway?  My driveway that had a layer of fluffy white powdery snow.  Why is shoveling something I shouldn't be doing?  Would it be bad for me?  I hate sexism.  It angers me to no end.

And ... If I would not excuse someone who used my gender as a reason to keep me from doing something I want, I can not allow myself to use my gender as an excuse to not do the things I may not want to do. I am a woman and I am capable!

Sorry, vent over, this just really bothered me today.

Does anyone else do things around the house that are traditionally male or have a husband who does things that are traditionally female?  Is it really just me?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Replies (31-37):
nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I do more "men's work" than my SO does. I change my own oil, I change my own transmission fluid, ect. I fix stuff around the house. I take out the trash, I do all that good stuff. As a matter of fact, i fixed my broken toilet seat yesterday lol. My SO would much rather hire someone else to do that kind of stuff for us. He mainly takes care of the cooking and cleaning. Nobody has ever made it seem like my gender was a disability but his friends really make fun of him for doing "women's work". But then again, sometimes I make fun of him for it too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

If I had to do chores that are generally for guys than I would, but I don't have to so I don't do them!

xpectingmama10
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Mine works and does the laundry and grocery shopping and I do the cooking dishes and spot clean daily I'm a sahm. We also as a team sanitize the whole place once a week. That asshole flu isn't invited to my house lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM
My husband works at the same company I do and I have to travel to afghanistan on business. People ask my husband how he can let me do that and he just laughs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM

When men say to me "I'll do that as it's no job for a woman" I usually respond by saying "I can fix that by snipping off your testicles, then it leaves us both incapable of doing it"

That always stops them stone dead in their sexism !

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I like doing the house work, he does the yard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I don't think he was saying it because your a women but because most people simply think its something the husband should do. Like its rude of your husband to make you do it. Does that make sense? Lol not saying your husband in particular should have because of his health problems but I guess it's looked at as hard labor, something a man should do for his wife if he is around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN