Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do the math. ETA:

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Your weight divided by your child's weight. This is how many times your child's size you are.

Example: 130 lbs / 25 lbs = 5.2 times the size of your child.

Keep that number in mind every time to hit your little kid.

I'm not trying to bash anyone, I'm just asking you to think about it. How frightened would you be as an adult if someone 3 to 6 times your size were coming at you to hit you? Even if it was just with an open hand (and of course not during whoopie time) wouldn't you be scared? Wouldn't you feel traumatized if someone that much bigger than you was "spanking" you to "teach" you to behave the way they expect and there was nothing you could do to defend yourself, no way for you to leave the situation?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

But you force your child to sit until she is calm, yes? You're controlling her body and her as a person in one way or another every day. We just parent differently.

And the woman in Target gives parents who spank a bad name, that is NOT how it is supposed to be done. It would be equal to one parent giving a time-out for the proper amount of time and another keeping their child on a chair for hours. One is doing it wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

I sit with my child until she is calm, no matter how long that takes and then we talk about what she did and why she isn't supposed to do that. I give positive reinforcement when she does the right thing. It works for her because that's how we've always done it. I would never hit her. 

Yes, I created her. Yes I am her parent. Yes I am responsible for her. But, I don't "own" her body and it is not mine to do with as I please; it's her body, it belongs to her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did my husband create me? Is he my parent, legally responsible for me for 18 years? No, he is not. When your child misbehaves, do you not discipline him or her? Does your husband put you in time out, ground you, take things away from you until you can earn them back? Why is this not common sense?

Quoting Anonymous:

You wouldn't, however, tolerate it as an adult... say your husband sat you down and explained to you why he wants you to behave a certain way, then he calmly bends you over his lap and spanks you. Are you going to stay with him after that? What about the 5th or 10th time?

You wouldn't put up with it because you're an adult and you have the right to not be spanked... why should kids not have this right? I saw a woman in Target this morning grab her child by the arm, pull him to her and pop him 3 times on his thigh and the look of terror on his face when she reached for him was heartbreaking. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I would assume most do consider that before spanking their child. Thus why it's supposed to be done while calm and as a punishment that comes after talking about what the child did wrong. It's not supposed to be done out of anger, with objects, or with enough force to leave marks. There is a difference between "striking" a child and a spanking. I was beaten as a child and also was given the occasional spanking. I would most certainly take the spankings after I misbehaved than the beatings, even as a child I knew the difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I don't make her sit, she just does, always has. When she knows I'm disappointed she comes to me asks for a hug and we sit down and hug till she stops crying, then we talk about it. My SS is different, he needs time alone when he knows we're disappointed, so he goes to his bedroom and cries on his bed, once he's calm we come in and talk to him.

That woman in the store did bother me, I've never seen a child be spanked before today and the poor kid was just so scared that it really made me think... standing there seeing him look up at her with this fear in his eyes... it was heartbreaking.

Quoting Anonymous:

But you force your child to sit until she is calm, yes? You're controlling her body and her as a person in one way or another every day. We just parent differently.

And the woman in Target gives parents who spank a bad name, that is NOT how it is supposed to be done. It would be equal to one parent giving a time-out for the proper amount of time and another keeping their child on a chair for hours. One is doing it wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

I sit with my child until she is calm, no matter how long that takes and then we talk about what she did and why she isn't supposed to do that. I give positive reinforcement when she does the right thing. It works for her because that's how we've always done it. I would never hit her. 

Yes, I created her. Yes I am her parent. Yes I am responsible for her. But, I don't "own" her body and it is not mine to do with as I please; it's her body, it belongs to her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did my husband create me? Is he my parent, legally responsible for me for 18 years? No, he is not. When your child misbehaves, do you not discipline him or her? Does your husband put you in time out, ground you, take things away from you until you can earn them back? Why is this not common sense?

Quoting Anonymous:

You wouldn't, however, tolerate it as an adult... say your husband sat you down and explained to you why he wants you to behave a certain way, then he calmly bends you over his lap and spanks you. Are you going to stay with him after that? What about the 5th or 10th time?

You wouldn't put up with it because you're an adult and you have the right to not be spanked... why should kids not have this right? I saw a woman in Target this morning grab her child by the arm, pull him to her and pop him 3 times on his thigh and the look of terror on his face when she reached for him was heartbreaking. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I would assume most do consider that before spanking their child. Thus why it's supposed to be done while calm and as a punishment that comes after talking about what the child did wrong. It's not supposed to be done out of anger, with objects, or with enough force to leave marks. There is a difference between "striking" a child and a spanking. I was beaten as a child and also was given the occasional spanking. I would most certainly take the spankings after I misbehaved than the beatings, even as a child I knew the difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I can imagine, it probably looked disturbing. She certainly wasn't giving anyone a good name.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't make her sit, she just does, always has. When she knows I'm disappointed she comes to me asks for a hug and we sit down and hug till she stops crying, then we talk about it. My SS is different, he needs time alone when he knows we're disappointed, so he goes to his bedroom and cries on his bed, once he's calm we come in and talk to him.

That woman in the store did bother me, I've never seen a child be spanked before today and the poor kid was just so scared that it really made me think... standing there seeing him look up at her with this fear in his eyes... it was heartbreaking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM
My kid laughs when I go to spank him
singlemom1208
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Different ways of parenting for different families.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Hit.
Verb
Bring one's hand or a tool or weapon into contact with (someone or something) quickly and forcefully.

I'm against spanking but I deal with it. Just don't say its not hitting because it is.

Quoting HaloWithHorns78:

I don't hit my kids. I spank them.

Josie_P
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Oh ffs, who cares how other people discipline their children?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Hit
Verb
Bring one's hand or a tool or weapon into contact with (someone or something) quickly and forcefully.

Quoting Anonymous:

*Hit...1.**a. *To come into contact with forcefully; strike: The car hit the guardrail.*b. *To reach with or as if with a blow: The bullet hit the police officer in the shoulder.

*Spanking* is the act of striking thebuttocks

of another person to cause temporary pain without producing physical injury.[1]

It generally involves one person striking the buttocks of another person with an open hand

. When an open hand is used, spanking is referred to in some countries as slapping

orsmacking

BIG difference...not really!"

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I don't understand why everyone insists on there being a distinction between hitting and spanking. If you are going to do something, at least own up to your action and don't try to defend it with semantics.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Love it!

Quoting mommyrustina:

I don't understand why everyone insists on there being a distinction between hitting and spanking. If you are going to do something, at least own up to your action and don't try to defend it with semantics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)