Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question about Taxes and insurance (I think she's lying) Update

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 63 Replies

So my SO just calls me all upset.  He and his ex have an agreement (between the two, nothing on paper), that they each claim one child at tax time.  Well, she just called him and told him that he can't claim either of the kids because HER MOTHER has to claim both of them. (the ex lives with her mother) According to the ex, her mother has both of the kids under her insurance, so she(the mother) has to claim both of the kids or someone(not sure who)will owe money that has to be paid back (not sure of exactly who she said had to be paid, or what was supposed to be paid, idk..) anyway....I have never heard of anything like that in my whole life.....thoughts????

Well....I guess he changed his mind about letting Grandma file...He talked to his ex yesterday to get a full explanation of the what exactly is going on, and I guess he wasn't satisfied with her answer or didn't believe what she was saying...either way, he claimed the one child he was supposed to claim and went ahead and filed his taxes. I asked him if he told her that he was filing, and he said no.  Not my business, so I'm not saying anything, but I wonder how its gonna turn out...I'm thinking shit is gonna hit the fan when she finds out.

i rock

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissMysteriouss
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
That is true.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

It's true.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

That doesn't sound right.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

He has a right to claim a child. It's not his responsiblity to give her or her mother a tax break. If they had an agreement then he should just claim one of the kids. .

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Whats true?  If someone is on your insurance you have to claim them on your taxes?  Explain please...

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

That is true.

i rock

km1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM

It's very possible. I know when I signed up for insurance at my last place of employment, we had to send in proof they were eligible for coverage under my insurance.

*they meaning my husband, my kids and stepkids. We had to send in birth certificates, our marriage certificate..etc. Her mother may have to send in her tax forms showing she is supporting them in order to put them on her insurance.

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I didn't think so either.....

Quoting purpleducky:

i rock

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM
It's not . Why is so not covering them ? Do they reside with BM 51% of the time ?
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I just thought about it too. My brother provides insurance for his daughters but his ex-wife claims them each year on taxes.

Quoting jenmomx3:

I didn't think so either.....

Quoting purpleducky:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Your so ex mother is breaking the law and claiming custody because with out custody she can't cover them
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)