Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SAHM with a Masters Degree and a Hefty unpaid Student Loan

Posted by   + Show Post

What a waste of money considering many SAHM plan to SAH until their kids graduate and by then they are old and outdated in their education burdening their spouse/SO with the hefty stupid loan with a degree you dont even use.

Just my opinion

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (401-410):
Jalestra
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a lot better way to "waste" money than a car just because you like it, clothes you don't need, or some of the other thousands of things I've seen some folks waste their money on. If he and she are ok with it, then there's no reason for me to remark over it.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I have a lot but I am currently worknf on my phd as of this semester. But im going to be working in 3-4 yrs. Plus we have plenty of money

Quoting thetrollcat:

Well I do have a point then they sit around whining they are always broke and in debt. Well duh, you spent six years in school and ran up a damn loan and your not even paying it off or working!

Quoting LyTe684:

Lol.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Well...the girls in my hood knew better to pop out a baby at 19 or 20 WHILE they were STILL in college and then welfare paid the rest of their school. They have no loans now and their kids are grown. They can take out loans now if they want too...you know if they want to go for a second degree. Ya gotta know how to work the system. Gee.....get it together ladies. <sarcasm>

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I so agree with you on that! Thats why I do it. But this is not something you do forever. Once my LO can start Head start this year, Im getting a job. Its boring being a SAHM now. And I am pretty bored with all this down time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Definitely overrated its just another excuse to be lazy & stay at home/sleep all day why daddy makes all the money or child support or government assistance. A few months is ok but if your child is in school, potty trained & talking its time you get your lazy ass up. SAHM constantly say they want to be there 100% for their kids, love them cuddle them whatever but in reality are just lazy & got used to staying home lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I went to school but I am a SAHM now. I have about $24K in student loan debt that with a little careful planning, I can get down to $0 in no time. I do, however, plan to go back to work. Being a SAHM is overrated.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Why wouldn't you?  You're 41, not 25 with small children -- it's a different situation.  I'm heading back to get my master's in the fall and I'll go back to work when I've graduated because my husband has a much more flexible schedule than when our children were small and they'll be old enough to stay home for a couple of hours by themselves if need be.

Oh, and I won't have any loans to repay when I'm done.  Works out great for me!

Quoting thetrollcat:

I got a floral design certificate/degree when my first was born but sadly I couldnt get a job no one would hire me (apparently Im too over qualified or they wouldnt hire me because I was deaf).

I found other things to do though, i continued teaching dance through the school district and taught myself web design. Now Im in school 20 years later (age 41) for computer programming and graudate this spring. But I at least plan to get a damn job and pay off my loans.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

wow we agree on something, I think its a waste to go to college just to say you went, go if you will use it but dont go just to make yourself feel better about being a sahm.

BTW im a SAHM with no college degree, and when I plan to go back to work it will be with the school district and what Im going for you dont need a college degree, and while Im working I will make a choice of what I want and then see if I need a college degree.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

takes Aspirin...finds seat....POPCORN !

Anonymous
by Anonymous 75 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I have my MFA and was a SAHM mom til my youngest started school.

Bite me.
bmommyx2
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

You can thank the women's movement for selling us the boat load of crap that we can be superwoman & that we have to have a career

erina320
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM
4 moms liked this

Yeah, because God forbid we have educated people raising the next generation! That job is best left to the ignorant folks!

And heaven forbid she be prepared should say... Oh I don't know, her husband leaves her and the kids and she should suddenly find herself thrust into the work place. NO that NEVER happens!

bmommyx2
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

The crappy economy has also played a factor.  There are lots of people with degrees not working or not working in their field because they can't get a job.  Many jobs now pay less than the once did & with the cost of childcare it is prohibiting a lot of mom's from working.  Part time jobs are not always available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)