Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SAHM with a Masters Degree and a Hefty unpaid Student Loan

Posted by   + Show Post

What a waste of money considering many SAHM plan to SAH until their kids graduate and by then they are old and outdated in their education burdening their spouse/SO with the hefty stupid loan with a degree you dont even use.

Just my opinion

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (421-430):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

i have to agree with you . i do find really really stupid how many women have their college degrees just seating around collecting dust .

that money should have been saved to be used during the years planned to stay at home with the kids

You know what I think is even more stupid?  Not getting an education because you (general) might be a SAHM at some point in your life. 

I had a career before I started staying home so I did, in fact, use my degree and we're very comfortable financially.  Even if I had put that money aside, we wouldn't have needed it. 

There are many SAHMs that do so without any PA.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Education is never a waste, money is though.  I agree to a point.  I think it's silly for someone to put themselves into massive debt for a degree that is not going to be used. 

I don't understand why anyone would want a degree that they are not going to use.  What is the point.  You can go to the free library and read up on it, lol.  

I have my BSN and MSN and I am a sahm.  I have no student loans though, neither does DH.  They are all paid off.  I do plan on going back into the medical field when my youngest is in school though.  I went through a lot (still am, I have to keep up on my certifications) to get my degrees.  If those loans were making it so that my family couldn't eat or go on vacation I would get a job to at least pay off the loans.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 79 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I went to some college. but this difference with mine is. all I need is a sewing machine and I can work from home

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I agree so much with you.   I don't use my degree and it was costly.  I have no student loans.  Not every sahm is in debt.  I think the opposite for the most part.  When someone says they are a sahm or a sahd I think "wow, they must do well on one income, that is how a parent can stay home", not, "wow, she must be on PA since she stays home", LOL.  There are so many sahm who are on welfare so I guess that is why most think that way *shrugs*, it's the "normal" now :(

Quoting lwalker270:

Quoting Anonymous:

i have to agree with you . i do find really really stupid how many women have their college degrees just seating around collecting dust .

that money should have been saved to be used during the years planned to stay at home with the kids

You know what I think is even more stupid?  Not getting an education because you (general) might be a SAHM at some point in your life. 

I had a career before I started staying home so I did, in fact, use my degree and we're very comfortable financially.  Even if I had put that money aside, we wouldn't have needed it. 

hollygollygee
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I do it because we can afford it.  If your family income is so little that you qualify for Head Start, I agree, it is time for you to get back to work.

Quoting Anonymous:

I so agree with you on that! Thats why I do it. But this is not something you do forever. Once my LO can start Head start this year, Im getting a job. Its boring being a SAHM now. And I am pretty bored with all this down time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Definitely overrated its just another excuse to be lazy & stay at home/sleep all day why daddy makes all the money or child support or government assistance. A few months is ok but if your child is in school, potty trained & talking its time you get your lazy ass up. SAHM constantly say they want to be there 100% for their kids, love them cuddle them whatever but in reality are just lazy & got used to staying home lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I went to school but I am a SAHM now. I have about $24K in student loan debt that with a little careful planning, I can get down to $0 in no time. I do, however, plan to go back to work. Being a SAHM is overrated.

Lol...down time?!?  I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old and I have zero downtime until it's about time to go to sleep.  A SAHM does not literally mean you are supposed to stay at home all the time.  I am at the park, at playdates, hiking around the lake, reading with my son, making cupcakes or some sort of project with him, coaching soccer, running taxi service to karate class and swimming practice,  organizing after school extra work ( my son loves math and they don't do anything very challenging at school so we work through a curriculum at home too), running errands, planning meals, cooking meals, and cleaning.  I am exhausted every single day.  If you have down time, you are doing it wrong...lol. 

PinkTink001
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You DO realize it's possible to attend college WITHOUT getting a loan? All 3 of my degrees were paid for by grants and scholarships. I'm a SAHM with no loans, but I put my bachelors degree to use by volunteering where I can use it. SAHM doesn't equal unpaid loans and not utilizing your degree - there are also CE classes you can take for most degrees to stay on top of the changes. I would never consider an education a "burden."

(Also, from reading your posts, you seem very uneducated (at least in the grammar/spelling department) - is this jealousy?)

Octobersmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I homeschool our daughter.  My husband and I don't consider that a waste of my degree. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

there are many other AFFORDABLE ways to get your education or EXPAND your education. College is not the ONLY way

Quoting lwalker270:

Quoting Anonymous:

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

M4LG5
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
What's your degree in?

Quoting Anonymous:

I did an internship for 6 months, then they let me go because they wanted to let another person have a chance. I never did see any volunteer positions, I applied for every single position I could find, from the lowest to the highest. In 5 years of looking I only came across about 10 positions total.

Quoting M4LG5:

did you do internships, volunteer, or entry level positions?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a masters degree that I've never used and have been a SAHM for the past 14 years. I spent 5 years after receiving my degree looking for a job. Never even got close to finding a job in my field so while my degree might be wasted, I feel like it was wasted before even starting to have kids.  If it makes you feel any better I never had any student loans to burden my husband with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yankeefan828
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I have a Bacholars degree with NO student loans. I didn't think I was going to want to stay home. I have mixed feelings on going back to work but I don't think it's a waste to educate yourself whether you use your degree of not. I love to learn and loved school I wouldn't go back for my masters unless I had a job that would pay for it.
But if they could afford it and the family agrees in it then it shouldn't be a problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN