Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SAHM with a Masters Degree and a Hefty unpaid Student Loan

Posted by   + Show Post

What a waste of money considering many SAHM plan to SAH until their kids graduate and by then they are old and outdated in their education burdening their spouse/SO with the hefty stupid loan with a degree you dont even use.

Just my opinion

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (531-535):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 76 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM
I know PLENTY of "well educated" people whose grammar is atrocious!

I never said it's ALWAYS the case, but research shows the following: "Children of college-educated parents are healthier, perform better academically, and are more likely to attend college than children of those with lower educational attainment."

Is this ALWAYS the case? Of course not. But many, many studies say the same. And in my 11 years as a third grade teacher, typically children whose parents are college-educated perform better academically.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Oh yes you can only educate yourself by going to college right. God forbid on your own time you pick up a book.

Btw I know many people that have worse grammar and spelling then myself and they have a college degree, it doesn't really mean anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Children are better off when both parents are educated whether or not the parents "use" their degrees in the "working world" or pass along their love of knowledge to their children. It's never a waste. Stats prove the incredible difference in children's vocabularies when parents are educated and when they're not.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

That has nothing to do with my point.

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

thats not always the case. some people spend 10-15 yrs working and have a degree and then they decide to settle down and have kids and be a sahm :]

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

wow we agree on something, I think its a waste to go to college just to say you went, go if you will use it but dont go just to make yourself feel better about being a sahm.

BTW im a SAHM with no college degree, and when I plan to go back to work it will be with the school district and what Im going for you dont need a college degree, and while Im working I will make a choice of what I want and then see if I need a college degree.

StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Dont get me wrong, Im not against getting a higher education. I just dont think its very wise to go to college for a stupid degree you dont plan to ever use, rack up the loans and created unneeded debt just to make yourself feel better about being a SAHM. Thats all my point is, I dont think the SAHM that got a useless degree (one they plan to never use) isnt going to help their kids in the future, plus I cant image why spending less time with your kids is wise, but thats just me I guess.

Quoting Anonymous:

I never said it's ALWAYS the case, but research shows the following: "Children of college-educated parents are healthier, perform better academically, and are more likely to attend college than children of those with lower educational attainment."

Is this ALWAYS the case? Of course not. But many, many studies say the same. And in my 11 years as a third grade teacher, typically children whose parents are college-educated perform better academically.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Oh yes you can only educate yourself by going to college right. God forbid on your own time you pick up a book.

Btw I know many people that have worse grammar and spelling then myself and they have a college degree, it doesn't really mean anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Children are better off when both parents are educated whether or not the parents "use" their degrees in the "working world" or pass along their love of knowledge to their children. It's never a waste. Stats prove the incredible difference in children's vocabularies when parents are educated and when they're not.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

thats not always the case. some people spend 10-15 yrs working and have a degree and then they decide to settle down and have kids and be a sahm :]

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

wow we agree on something, I think its a waste to go to college just to say you went, go if you will use it but dont go just to make yourself feel better about being a sahm.

BTW im a SAHM with no college degree, and when I plan to go back to work it will be with the school district and what Im going for you dont need a college degree, and while Im working I will make a choice of what I want and then see if I need a college degree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 76 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Racking up debt of any kind is unwise. I know a family in which the mother works, the kids are high school, middle school and elementary school ages. The mom stayed at home for years, but now makes a very good living doing something she enjoys. The father is in college getting a second degree in history. Will he "use" it in the workforce? Never. He's just the kind of guy who loves to learn. This is quite an atypical situation, but believe it or not, there are people out there who are debt free who love to learn just for the sake of learning.

Now, when you're getting a degree and taking out loans in order to do so, hopefully you're taking Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University along with it. Haha!

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Dont get me wrong, Im not against getting a higher education. I just dont think its very wise to go to college for a stupid degree you dont plan to ever use, rack up the loans and created unneeded debt just to make yourself feel better about being a SAHM. Thats all my point is, I dont think the SAHM that got a useless degree (one they plan to never use) isnt going to help their kids in the future, plus I cant image why spending less time with your kids is wise, but thats just me I guess.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What a silly statement. Having an excellent education gives you a more enjoyable life because you are aware of more things to enjoy. You will be healthier because you will have more knowledge of what keeps a person healthy.You will be a better mother because you can be a better teacher to your children and you are a better example to them. You are a better conversationalist not only for your husband but also for your friends and your children. Your children will not always be children. When they are grown you will be able to understand what they are talking about.

It is never ok to bully anyone: 1. It brings you down to the level of being a bully 2. What if you misunderstood, and the person you are bullying never meant to bully anyone?

jakesmom323
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Hey troll cat.....stirring it up this morning??;) my loans were paid off by the time I was 28 and married. Plan on being a SAHM till I want to go back. Have fun:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)