Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who lets a preschooler play outside alone?

Posted by   + Show Post

There are always a bunch of kids running around outside of our apartment building. I don't usually pay that much attention to them. Most of them are school age and there are parents are nearby, but today there was a knock on my door. When i opened it, there was a little girl - she couldn't be more than 4 - wanting to know if she could come in and play. I told her she had the wrong apartment, but I'm thinking who sends a child that age to another person's apartment alone. Why in the world was a parent not walking her to where she needed to go? I just don't understand some people.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, we have 5in of snow and wind chills in the single digits. Even if it was warm outside it only takes a second for her to run off. I don't care how overprotective I may be, keeping my baby safe is my job and I'm going to continue to be damn good at it!

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH let our 5yo play outside in the snow alone, she was out there for 3 min by the time I realized it and I flipped the fuck out! I don't care how safe our neighborhood is, that's not ok!

3 minutes outside alone? Oh the horror!!

Anonymous

I don't know where you live but, I live in the projects and the kids here run free at all ages.  They adapt to being on their own.  I know it's not right and I didn't let mine run, but it's normal and they are always fine.  No one has ever been kidnapped or even hurt.  Sometimes I wonder how.  We live with a highway on one side and miles of woods on the other 3 sides.  

Anonymous

My dd (4 1/2) is allowed outside in our fenced in back yard alone for a few minutes before I look out the widow to check on her. She has our two dogs out there with her and the gate is locked. She also will go out the front door whenever my neighbor is home and go get an ice pop from him and play with his dog for a few minutes. She look out our window to see if he is home and then ask if she can go get an ice pop. I'll stand outside while she runs next door. 

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Hell my 12 yr old isn't even allowed to roam outside alone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by Patti on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

My apartment is just a small step above the projects. it is an income based apartment, and yes, most of the kids here do run free, but i still think a child that age should be accompanied by either an adult or an older child, for their own safety. I'm sure she is fine, but if it was my dd, I would have walked her to the apartment.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know where you live but, I live in the projects and the kids here run free at all ages.  They adapt to being on their own.  I know it's not right and I didn't let mine run, but it's normal and they are always fine.  No one has ever been kidnapped or even hurt.  Sometimes I wonder how.  We live with a highway on one side and miles of woods on the other 3 sides.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM

That's crazy. Ds is 5 and i would never imagine doing that. I may be over protective but I can't see sending him out to play by himself until atleast 7 maybe even 8. He's a good kid and knows right from wrong but it only take one bad decision for something really bad to happen.

ATG499
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I really hope you're a troll. If not, don't be too surprised if they get kidnapped...

Quoting Anonymous:

My 5 and 3 year old play outside our apartment without me there. I dont know what the problem is as long as they know the rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I know, it's sad.  Here the moms kick the kids out so they can sleep all day.  I HATE it!  You'll see the kids playing in the dumpsters and stuff.  God HAS to be watching out for them.  That's the only way I can reason it.

Quoting pce68:

My apartment is just a small step above the projects. it is an income based apartment, and yes, most of the kids here do run free, but i still think a child that age should be accompanied by either an adult or an older child, for their own safety. I'm sure she is fine, but if it was my dd, I would have walked her to the apartment.

Quoting Anonymous:

jessimicuh
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM
My 4 & 6 yr old play outside in our yard alone. Were on a dead end rd, only one on our street.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nelliesmommy
by prettyandpierced on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM

An idiot...unless it is a fenced backyard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)