Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't judge those who don't do this...but I really think it's more personal to do this.

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 466 Replies
2 moms liked this

So my SD's 10th birthday is coming up and all she can talk about is the type of cake she wants. I always make the cake myself and I make it personal for my family members. They tell me general shape or style of cake they want, what flavor cake and frosting and I go from there.

I always find store bought cakes...almost distasteful and impersonal.

So I just ordered a monkey shaped cake pan for SD's birthday (she wants a jungle themed party) and I was wondering if any other moms out there still make their kids' birthday cakes. I don't know anyone my age (late 20's) who does, they all buy store bought.

Here are a few cakes from the last year. My DH doesn't like frosting but LOVES gummy worms...so I tried to compromise on his cake.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I make DD's cakes, but then I do cakes/cupcakesas a hobby/side business, so I don't have the option, lol. 

Bree0922
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM
6 moms liked this
I think it's awesome to make your own cake if you can make it taste and look good.... which I cannot do...lol... So, I always have mine made by a bakery :P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixsMommy10
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM
We buy cakes. That's the way my mom always did it as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Store bought is gross. I either make my own or order special made from a bakery.
LilliesValley
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM
We have bought some and I make some. This year I made dd cake and got lots of compliments. I'm in my early 30's.
Groove
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM
We're a vegan family so I have no option but to make our cakes at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM
I don't like cake, I only like VERY specific kinds, with real ingredients, not crap. Even as a kid, I found store-bought cakes nasty. I like ice cream cakes, with both layers made of ice cream and crumbled chocolate wafers in between. I know - I'm picky! So wr always made mine at home. I prefer it that way. Always have. I also prefer homemade Halloween costumes.
Junesmommy18
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Dd's 4th Birthday was today. I make her a cake in a 4 shape.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I often make them. But I have a good friend who has a home based cake business. She'll do my kids cakes this year.
Luna091306
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I make the cakes but they don't turn out quite as fancy as yours. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)