Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't judge those who don't do this...but I really think it's more personal to do this.

Posted by   + Show Post

So my SD's 10th birthday is coming up and all she can talk about is the type of cake she wants. I always make the cake myself and I make it personal for my family members. They tell me general shape or style of cake they want, what flavor cake and frosting and I go from there.

I always find store bought cakes...almost distasteful and impersonal.

So I just ordered a monkey shaped cake pan for SD's birthday (she wants a jungle themed party) and I was wondering if any other moms out there still make their kids' birthday cakes. I don't know anyone my age (late 20's) who does, they all buy store bought.

Here are a few cakes from the last year. My DH doesn't like frosting but LOVES gummy worms...so I tried to compromise on his cake.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

i will be again soon :) I did when they were really little but with moving a lot I left my pans and stuff at MILs house. Me and the kids are headed back that way though so I will definitely be doing it again. I did make my oldest sons birthday dessert last month but he wanted brownies with mud pie on top :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I think opposite of you, I think it is cheap to make the cake yourself not to mention how awful most look.
I always get a custom ordered cake personalized for them from a bakery that makes the most delicious cakes ever.
They look how the person of honor wants, flavors that they want and they look great too. They are not store bought cake mixes with crappy tasting, oddly dyed and over sugared frostings in goofy shapes and poorly decorated.

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

So my SD's 10th birthday is coming up and all she can talk about is the type of cake she wants. I always make the cake myself and I make it personal for my family members. They tell me general shape or style of cake they want, what flavor cake and frosting and I go from there.

I always find store bought cakes...almost distasteful and impersonal.

So I just ordered a monkey shaped cake pan for SD's birthday (she wants a jungle themed party) and I was wondering if any other moms out there still make their kids' birthday cakes. I don't know anyone my age (late 20's) who does, they all buy store bought.

Here are a few cakes from the last year. My DH doesn't like frosting but LOVES gummy worms...so I tried to compromise on his cake.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I always make my own. I make bombass cakes, but they usually aren't beautifully decorated. I want to take a decorating class to get there tho.
audreesmama
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I make ours, and last year dd wanted cupcakes. We did tie due cupcakes with white fondant and gave the kids food markers to draw on their cupcakes with. It was a huge hit!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Saille717

I've had some store bought cakes that were very good.  It all depends on where you get them.  But since I love to cook and bake, I very often will do something myself rather than buy something.  It depends on the party, though, and other variables.  Either way is fine by me.  

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

my mom makes the cakes for my family, including the cake for my DD's first birthday (smash cake)...unfortunately, she did not look up examples ahead of time and it was a large cake, which equaled a very large mess :)

Jessica_Esqueda

I make everyones cakes!

ShutterFreak03
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM
If I was good at baking I would but im not lol my baking always.comes out.funky lol
ksueditz
For their actual birthdays, I make a regular rectangle cake. But for their parties, I buy or my mom makes one.
justahousewife
I have a small collection of 3D cake pans just for bdays. I either take requests or make it a surprise.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)