Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't judge those who don't do this...but I really think it's more personal to do this.

Posted by   + Show Post

So my SD's 10th birthday is coming up and all she can talk about is the type of cake she wants. I always make the cake myself and I make it personal for my family members. They tell me general shape or style of cake they want, what flavor cake and frosting and I go from there.

I always find store bought cakes...almost distasteful and impersonal.

So I just ordered a monkey shaped cake pan for SD's birthday (she wants a jungle themed party) and I was wondering if any other moms out there still make their kids' birthday cakes. I don't know anyone my age (late 20's) who does, they all buy store bought.

Here are a few cakes from the last year. My DH doesn't like frosting but LOVES gummy worms...so I tried to compromise on his cake.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (451-460):
StacyO722
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I always make DD's cakes. I'm a trained pastry chef, so it would kill me to buy one from a store...lol.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I make my own.

ilovemyboys84
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Every yr I make them...never have bought one...my oldest will be 10 this yr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nermall1102
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I make my own. Awesome cakes sweety1
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lind.shep
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I use foil pans for everything. A three pack will make one cake. Make two layers of cake and freeze. The ice cream you let soften, put in the pan and even it out. Freeze it all over night. The next day when you are ready to put it together peel off the foil pans and stack. Put back in the freezer for an hour to reharden. Trim everything to make it nice and neat. Put back in the freezer to reharden. Ice it and put it back in the freezer until ready to serve. Can be a bit time consuming but so worth it in the end. I have made six of these. Got paid to do four of them for birthday parties over the summer.

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

What's the secret to an icecream cake? I've never attempted one myself, but I'm afraid of the icecream melting or slipping off. Any suggestions?

Quoting lind.shep:

Pic

Jalestra
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I make my husbands..I make my oldest daughter's (their choice)...I made the kids' until they started school. I'm not good at it. Their cakes will be on presentation and that's important to them...so I don't mind buying them. My oldest daughter and husband only care that I made it and it tastes good (I use whipped icing because my hubs hates regular icing, too). Sometimes it turns out fabulous, sometimes..well it TASTES like cake...

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Im very picky about what we eat so I make all of ours...yhats three kids plus a husband lol I make a lot of cake. Dds first bday is in a month and I am making a brown sugar cake with caramel butter cream frosting.
KRIZZ25
I HATE BEING ALONE..EVERY ONE HAD A SOME BODY.I HAVE A NO BODY .
Yesterday at 7:47 PM
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:55 AM
WE DO NOW.. I CANT AFFORD CAKES..DON'T MATTER TO ME CAKE IS CAKE..
MamaMoopsie
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

That sounds delicious. Like you, I've got quite a few people to make cakes for. Husband and 4 kids (with a 5th on the way) and my SIL and I take turns making cakes for my parents. If I had to plan to buy from the bakery every year for that many people...man that'd be expensive!

Quoting svolkov:

Im very picky about what we eat so I make all of ours...yhats three kids plus a husband lol I make a lot of cake. Dds first bday is in a month and I am making a brown sugar cake with caramel butter cream frosting.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Lol no joke. Plus most store boughts that r cheaper taste awful and are laden with nastiness

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

That sounds delicious. Like you, I've got quite a few people to make cakes for. Husband and 4 kids (with a 5th on the way) and my SIL and I take turns making cakes for my parents. If I had to plan to buy from the bakery every year for that many people...man that'd be expensive!

Quoting svolkov:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)