Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't judge those who don't do this...but I really think it's more personal to do this.

Posted by   + Show Post

So my SD's 10th birthday is coming up and all she can talk about is the type of cake she wants. I always make the cake myself and I make it personal for my family members. They tell me general shape or style of cake they want, what flavor cake and frosting and I go from there.

I always find store bought cakes...almost distasteful and impersonal.

So I just ordered a monkey shaped cake pan for SD's birthday (she wants a jungle themed party) and I was wondering if any other moms out there still make their kids' birthday cakes. I don't know anyone my age (late 20's) who does, they all buy store bought.

Here are a few cakes from the last year. My DH doesn't like frosting but LOVES gummy worms...so I tried to compromise on his cake.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (461-466):
musicpisces
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are great!  I try to make DS's cakes when I can, but I am usually either working two jobs, or right now, I'm in nursing school.  I have ZERO cake-baking skills.  I do, however, try to get my mom roped in- she makes amazing cakes!  LOL  But she has her own business, and is very busy as well (not baking cakes).  I certainly don't judge others for buying cakes, and the kids rarely care- they just want cake!  =)

hurricane37
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, we can't afford store bought cakes, so I always make cakes for our kids and I let them pick out the color cake they want and what flavor or whatever. We buy them balloons and they have a big time and a lot of fun on their birthdays. I dont see why anyone has to spend a whole lot of money for a birthday party when the kids have so much fun anyway with balloons and a cake.

Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Either or, depends on how I feel during that time.  No dairy queen cakes..for some reason I just do not like there taste.  But I do like to make my butter yellow cake mix with choco or creamcheese frosting.  For my oldst sons birthday we did a train cake with this cool pan we bought so.

aCafemomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

until this year i've always made mine, this one time i'm having my boss make it she is better at decorating than i am so i'm taking a break for the first time in 8 years

TugboatWifey
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I made my Step Daughter's cake for her birthday party that we just had yesterday..

It turned out CUTE!!

DSC_6422_zps92457683.jpg

DSC_6432_zpsa12ddc4e.jpg

DSC_6521_zpsf6106468.jpg

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I am in my eurly 30's an I do. Have my whole life before our ds. My mom always did so I do. I don't like store baught. Plus most are processed in an a place with tree nuts. I can't have any trace of those I will get will get sick or die.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)